Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

18 Sound - ND3ST Compression Driver
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2020, 06:51 PM   #41
docali is offline docali  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

thanks for the impedance shots.

18s generally uses a copper shorting ring and the Radian not - why? My Radians did not have any absorbing material in the back cover - why? And the big disadvantage of the 745Neos is that if you open the back cover then the alignment is disturbed. They use the same screws for back cover and diaphragm - why? This suspicious hole in the back cover - why? Btw, it is intended to protect the diaphragm for high SPL. You can safely close it for HiFi use and the second side peak is gone and the LF extension is better. A quick and simple tweak.

I am very curious when you present the first measurements in a horn.
Old 20th October 2020, 07:31 PM   #42
manninen is offline manninen  Finland
diyAudio Member

Jbl 2384 would be natural choice.
1.4" is such killer size for home audio
Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM   #43
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi ErnieM, keep meaning to say thanks for the plots.
It's dang hard to find higher level distortion sweeps.
Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM   #44
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docali View Post
Hi,

thanks for the impedance shots.

18s generally uses a copper shorting ring and the Radian not - why? My Radians did not have any absorbing material in the back cover - why? And the big disadvantage of the 745Neos is that if you open the back cover then the alignment is disturbed. They use the same screws for back cover and diaphragm - why? This suspicious hole in the back cover - why? Btw, it is intended to protect the diaphragm for high SPL. You can safely close it for HiFi use and the second side peak is gone and the LF extension is better. A quick and simple tweak.

I am very curious when you present the first measurements in a horn.
I was also surprised to see no foam or felt behind the cover. The screws were a little loose on one after long term storage. Had to realign the diaphragm as I was getting a huge dip in the response. Did it by feel to where it felt even on opposite sides. A few minor changes would bring it up a bit. Still a good driver overall. Will try plugging the hole sometime.

At least their packaging is better than 18 Sound

@manninen - That's my plan if my last attempts at nesting the seos 8's doesn't work. Sucker for coaxials. Going to try a shaded array with three waveguides per side. Initial results look workable. Will try some foam and phase plug experiments as well to help mitigate any reflections off the back side of the array.

@mark100 - No problem. I was curious myself. They look like a toss up so far in HD but IMD is more interesting. Dual tone 13khz-14khz showed a clear advantage for the ND3SN. Much lower sideband activity than the Radian.

Last edited by ErnieM; Yesterday at 05:07 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM   #45
docali is offline docali  Germany
diyAudio Member

I am curious to see the difference to the normal ND3N version with small body. Here attached to TAD TH4001 with an slightly mismatched 1.5" adapter:

ND3N@TH4001_SPL2.jpg
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #46
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Will measure them tonight on a waveguide with no eq. They look really similar spec wise. I don't think 2.1T vs. 2.0 makes a big difference.
  Reply to this post

18 Sound - ND3ST Compression DriverHide this!Advertise here!