Corrugated Cardboard tower desgin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you haven't seen them, take a look at user xrk971's threads - he has posted a lot of projects using light materials.

Also: there are lots of sonotube subs around, and these are essentially just dense cardboard. Even MDF is just cardboard bring pretentious :)

I've used corrugated (box) cardboard for test enclosures and baffles only. I have experimented with laminating layers of cardboard together to make stiff panels, and it seems promising. With good planning and the right projects, I think cardboard could be excellent - the main caveat being it would be relatively wasteful of space, since you need to use very thick panels to get decent stiffness.

Some people show very impressive looking projects using huge amounts of stacked (CNC cut) MDF or ply to make complex shapes. I sometimes wonder whether making the same shape with cardboard, then adding a skin of fibreglass, would be a better method - less work, noise, mess and waste.

I'm thinking of making prototypes of some big midbass horns from cardboard. If I add a skin of fibreglass, and a vibration deadening layer (tar?) they could possibly end up as a semi-permanent build.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Thanks. I have a box from an LCD TV that I am thinking of using - what are the parameters that I should experiment with? Anything to add?

Thinking of a 1 metre high tower with single 4 inch generic speaker for a start.

Thickness ((layers)
Stiffening using wooden struts
Ported enclosure
Slotted enclosure
Cabin depth
Interior bracing
Interior damping - cloth/foam

Will look at xrk971's threads

GM

Joined 2003
Lossy panels work well with high Qt drivers, so the flimsier the cab, the higher the Qt that can be damped by cab, so inexpensive mobile audio, PA [public address] drivers or similar are good choices for Styrofoam, cardboard, rigid insulation board.

GM

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Lossy panels work well with high Qt drivers, so the flimsier the cab, the higher the Qt that can be damped by cab, so inexpensive mobile audio, PA [public address] drivers or similar are good choices for Styrofoam, cardboard, rigid insulation board.

GM

What about car audio speakers? And aren't PA speakers high in distortion? Or is it the source?

Also, what do mean by mobile audio - what are some examples?

GM

Joined 2003
Mobile = vehicle = car, truck, motorcycle, airplane, etc..

Yes and no, public address [PA] systems in general are anything but HIFI, though PA specific drivers are designed for high speech intelligibility in high ambient noise areas, ergo very articulate with a rolled off bass and high treble i.e. similar to a wide bandwidth [BW] mid horn's performance, so need some EQ to tonally balance [flatten] them out.

GM

One thing to keep in mind is, that cardboard has very lo mass and quite lo stiffness, hence one cannot use it in order to enclose drivers, which have pistons of very hi mass and stiff suspension. Such are often drivers tagged as for mobile use, for to most people mobile means to have a small enclosure. Drivers with small short voice coil and lite diaphragms, old-skool, are better suited. Still, enclosures must be big, and air-resonance enclosures such as bass-reflex and quarter-wave are impossible. Avoid rite angles and stitch damping stuff such as old clothes to it.

Thinking of a 1 metre high tower with single 4 inch generic speaker for a start.

'generic' speakers such as TV speakers can sound great, within their limitations. They typically have very high Qts, so slotted* / sealed / open backed should be better than attempting a normal ported design.

I'd make the box fairly stiff by laminating multiple layers of cardboard together: slather each layer with lots of PVA or similar cheap glue**, and use broad weights (old text books) to press them together firmly, without crushing the corrugations.

For inspiration, do image searches on cardboard furniture, and laminated CNC speaker cabinets.

*You could even use the corrugations of the cardboard as aperiodic vents.

**Not sure if wallpaper glue would be good for this. It would be good if it did - you'll go through a LOT of glue doing this

Attachments

• Modern-design-cardboard-cat-furniture.jpg
    Modern-design-cardboard-cat-furniture.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Hi luxury cat, ** wallpaper glue, which is basically starch glue, works, if one glues only one cardboard layer at a time. Else, persistent humidity destroys the corrugation glue, and it falls apart. I know, for i built a big horn from several layers of cardboard. So cardboard is prolly not the best choice for places, which are often humid; is cardboard used in Brazil, or do Brazilians cut all woods in order to reduce humidity in order to be able to use cardboard?

Attachments

• IMG_1603.JPG
    IMG_1603.JPG
    380.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.