Corrosion SEAS Magnesium Drivers

yes I think the combination of an inconsistent protective coating, iron in the bolts, and the salt air works as an electrolyte for the the magnesium to become sacrificial. I am going to use coated screws or even stainless steel bolts when I reinstall. I am just not sure if I should patch the pin holes or leave them alone.

My magnet glued SEAS W22EX001 are galvanically isolated, there is no screws at all, and the corrosion is about to be visible after 16 years in a dry environment.

PS : you've buyed a lambo : sand casted old magnesium wheels safe? - Countach - Lambo Power

Last edited:
Zvu,

To be fair, I think the cost increase has as much, if not more to do with changes they've made to the motor structure, but hey, I'd only be buying 2 anyway. :)

Best,

Erik

The cost increase is imaginary and done because SEAS want to. FEA motor optimisation has been common for years now, SEAS are really late to the party on that, it's not a reason to charge the huge increase Vs old Excel.

We haven't seen measurements yet but I doubt they'll be as good as the Satori motor and the Graphene coated magnesium cones seem just as troublesome as the old Excel mags. SBs aluminium or CAC, ceramic, cones best them and actually remedy a lot of the stiff cone woes. A metal Satori, I would guess, would measure better than the new Graphene and cost significantly less. Heck until we have measurements the basic SB17NAC/CAC could be better performers for 1/10th the price depending on where you shop.

If this is what SEAS have managed to come up with in 20 years since the original Excels...not very impressive. In fact the potential motor improvements aside the only thing significantly different between the old and new excels is the price, not the performance.

Maybe Seas is building up a nest egg to deal with the future. I put the cones back in with deck screws after removing most of the corrosion and even with the holes, the speakers sound really good maybe its Stockholm syndrome (I know Norway not Sweden) but I really like the damn speakers. Is there a data base of speakers where I can find a very close hopefully cheaper woofer that would bolt in? Or is there another speaker that uses the millennium tweeter with non seas woofer that would have similar sound - smaller would actually be better for me. like the delling but without the seas woofer. a 7 inch wide speaker would be great and the room is 12x15 so not very large.

I think you are correct Lojzek they still sound great even without the glue. the holes are relatively tiny I will see if I can find the glue. Has anyone tried replacing the mag drivers with the Nextel excel drivers? What changes would did you have to make?. I would be willing to build new cabinets. If I could get the same sound.

A couple of holes can't be that bad, not something I could not repair with some epoxy glue. UHU plus, 90 minutes before it sets, proved really good for repairing eyeglasses hinges. It will glue anything and is really strong.

Yeah I'd say the same thing, a small spot of glue on the backside to seal the hole.

SEAS saying that it's not going to affect the sound. This is absolute rubbish. There is no way that the corrosion in the picture above is going to be completely harmless in terms of driver performance. And holes in the cone? Come on SEAS this is not something that's not going to affect the sound. The guy just cleaned corroded speaker cone away from non corroded cone. Cone fell on the floor SEAS, part of his speaker cone is no more :eek:

They should offer free recones or replacements in my opinion. When you buy a metal ship you expect the hull to succumb to the salt water at some point so it's not a surprise when you need to pay for maintenance, or a new boat. No one buying the magnesium cones is doing so expecting them to corrode away to the point of having holes in them. You expect them to last *forever*.

Truth be told SEAS probably didn't even expect this to happen then got a big surprise when people started complaining of it years later.

Regardless, of all the people with Excel cone drivers around the world the % of them suffering from corrosion is going to be extremely small. Probably like 0.01% of them, if not less. I really don't see why SEAS couldn't just offer to replace them for free, or offer free reconing. It's not like it's going to be a huge loss in terms of profit.

I am not sure about the percentage it could be a lot bigger than Seas realizes and I could not agree more. Even an at cost discount from seas would have felt better than were working on it and the problem is hard to solve. I don't know if it will add weight or not but krud kutter will probably work on magnesium and stop the corrosion it will turn the speakers black which is maybe better than grey with white spots.

Not sure what to do, they are saying to remove the tweeter resistor, then the Nextels are a direct replacement. The measurements are close at least to my laymans eyes - lose a little bass add little more sensitivity. It looks like a smaller cabinet may be appropriate. I can get the Mags again but then I will never be able to open a window. Would the Graphene be a better match? that has even an uglier chart than the mags and I don't want to spend that much. I would prefer not the have to make to many xover changes.

I don't think they have been able to find a fix they are phasing out the magnesium and replacing with graphene. I am struggling with finding a way to simulate. I spent hours just unsuccessfully trying to find the frd files for the drivers to run in xsim. I live very close to the ocean so the easy answer to just replace with mag is risky.

thank you that helped me a lot I entered the thor crossover components on xsim and I know almost nothing about this but it looks like the Nextel would be a better sounding speaker. Even with the current crossover. At the point I am thinking about taking the Nextels over the mags. I would not want to put up with the corrosion again.

Attachments

• mag.dxo
    41.6 KB · Views: 38
  • nx.dxo
    42 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
There is some hope of exchanging magnesiums for the nextels without major filter mods. Take from Seas Thor high pass filter following parts out: R2(2R), R3(12R5) and C4(2u2). Modify the C1(8u2) by increasing its capacitance to 12.6uF by adding the C4's you just removed from HP in parallel with C1.
This is the frd/zma of the millenium tweeter for you to check the mods. Add 0.5" delay to each woofer.

Attachments

• Seas millenium.zip
    12.2 KB · Views: 44