Open baffle bookshelf/monitor ideas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,

Just moved into a small house(less than 1k square feet) and looking at ways to get the best sound in a small space.

One of the best things I have found is a modified lxmin that is Shorter and crossed around 80hz to a sub.

I would really like open baffle for the big soundstage as I am a junky in this area.

i have thought about going another route as well by doing a 3 way OB monitor with maybe a 10, 4, and tweeter but lxmini still has the point source like quality.

Then there are coaxial options....

I also need something that will be really good for off axis listening considering my family room layout.

Don't need it to go really loud either considering proximity and I don't like things really loud.

My listening is a good mix of music, movies, and tv. As time goes on I do find myself listening to more music which is mostly a mix of indie rock(Passenger, Jack Johnson, etc.) with some punk rock( offspring, blink), classic rock(Beatles, CCR), and then some vocals and jazz like Dean Martin and Amy Winehouse.

Really open to suggestions here.

OB and LXMini need space from side and rear walls which really doesn't equate to purposeful use in a small space so there's that question for you to answer first.

IMO, a subwoofer/satellite system makes the most sense and I would assume the main listening system is combined for home theater use?

It is also used for home theater but in a 2.1 setup, no room for surrounds or center.

If I go with the OB/ Lxmini I will have about 12-18" from the back wall. I know this is close which is why I ought the lxmini would would with the suppression pipe behind the 4".

If I made my own OB I would probably try and do some sort of "open box" where it was open on the sides but have some sort of solution to diffract and suppress the rear wave going to the back wall.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.