Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Piezo VS voice coil tweeters
Piezo VS voice coil tweeters
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2019, 07:09 AM   #91
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

My results with quality motorola were superb.

Motorola ksn 1038a.

It has a bad resonance at 4.5khz, but I was using it with 24db LR active crossover at 5khz and up. Turning crossover point down, it got in your face buzzy fast. Think I had a 30ohm resistor in series with it too.

Otherwise, passively, you need to transformer couple it (with the 8ohm tap towards the amp), add a zobel, add a resistor to bring (changing Z) close to the 25w tap (I think), and also notch out a resonance (somewhat).

Freddyi is the now expert and measured super low distortion using ksn 1016 piezo.
You can find many posts by him here and audioasylum.com

I saw djk's piezo array (5 x ksn 1016a Motorola), yes, it was the klipsch 1900 looking one.
Old 17th June 2019, 04:05 AM   #92
NoCompulsoryRegistr is online now NoCompulsoryRegistr
diyAudio Member

Default PIEZO ARE GREAT SOUND MACHINES :MOTOROLA is the best >>experienced !

The quality of a piezo speaker is directly proportional to the size and quality of the piezo element used :ORIGINAL Motorola (now PIEZOSOURCE >>> Piezo Source, Inc. ),Goldwood (https://www.goldwood.com/goldwood/mi...iezo-tweeters/ )
and MONACOR (MONACOR: Search Results "piezo" ) with the same GOOD QUALITY 22mm. diameter piezo element inside for ALL the models:They are the best brands on the market.

Having tried them personally (and checked the internal quality), what I write is the truth experienced, no prejudices or chatter!

Bigger the piezo element (the active metallized part on the ceramic!) and the precision of the assembly, enormously better the sound (HORN type used is a separate matter !).
ORIGINAL Piezo Motorola are excellent in every aspect and for example, there is no piezo driver on the market bigger and more powerful than the KSN1188A.
Aganin :
Stupidity is to use piezo tweeter (or driver) without proper crossover :Using it, You get exceptional results and the sound played by a piezo becomes of higher quality than a mobile voice coil tweeter !
It is always necessary to investigate, to experience and to try : especially with electronics and physics but unexpected results can be obtained.
In the life , there is a lot to discover !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MOTOROLA KSN1142_EDIT.jpg (159.2 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg GOLDWOOD GT1025 EDITED .jpg (264.2 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by NoCompulsoryRegistr; 17th June 2019 at 04:33 AM.
Old 17th June 2019, 04:49 AM   #93
NoCompulsoryRegistr is online now NoCompulsoryRegistr
diyAudio Member

Default MONACOR PIEZO are good quality and with BETTER SOUND AND CONSTRUCTION THAN "GRS"brand

Having tested numerous drivers and tweeters piezo in various configurations, with and without crossover ,with or without impedance transformer, I found that :
Using the same HORN, the tweeter piezo branded "MONACOR" model MPT165 is considerably superior in both:In the sound reproduced and constructively than the brand "GRS" model PZ1165 .Although , the diameter of the piezo element is the same (22 mm.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MONACOR MPT165 edite.jpg (471.0 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg grs-pz1165-4-3-8-piezo-horn-tweeter-similar-to-ksn.jpg (379.9 KB, 187 views)
Old 16th September 2019, 08:47 PM   #94
Freedom666 is offline Freedom666  Germany
diyAudio Member

Who is interested in measurements - on my blog there are Piezo Tweeters with a 12 db crossover. Try google translation because its in german.

Tweeter with 100 ohm in parallel, 027 mfd an 1,36mh, 12 db crossover with measurement.
I covered after the measurement the diaphragm with aluminium foil.

Measurement without crossover (blue)
Measurement with 100 ohm parallel and 0,27mfd capacitor (red line)
Measurement with 100 ohm parallel directly between hot and ground of the tweeter and 0,27 mfd capacitor and 1,36mh in parallel
Click the image to open in full size.

Dragan from Germany

Last edited by Freedom666; 16th September 2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 17th September 2019, 01:00 AM   #95
fullrage is offline fullrage  United States
diyAudio Member

Talking PIEZO tweeter-n-waveguide,

howdy yall, who, sells the "monacor" brand?
Old 18th September 2019, 02:11 PM   #96
fullrage is offline fullrage  United States
diyAudio Member

Default piezo horn

rereading my last mess. leaves me some what unclear. What i'm asking is any one aware of a company state side that deals with piezo's ? Parts express carries GRS,and GOLDWOOD, i'm hoping for another source, hopefully brand new! and of a better build quality- something as close to the MOTOROLA 1140a as posible?
Old 18th September 2019, 08:31 PM   #97
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

Just curious, has anyone tried using a DSP to flatten the frequency response of a cheap piezo? How did that sound?
Old 23rd September 2019, 02:13 PM   #98
Freedom666 is offline Freedom666  Germany
diyAudio Member

Could be that dsp power can help to bring resonances down in piezo drivers or make the response better not only in the frequency response but also in the waterfall decay. But I did not try this.

As my use of piezos is only for the indirect sound field their frequency response is not so important.

My piezos have no damping behind the paper diaphragm and have no damping of the piezo itself by some 1mm thick rubber (Motorola piezos had some damping here.)

Maybe you could get some Monacor Piezos from Ebay directly from Germany.

The biggest difference in sound you get from covering paper diphragms with aluminium foil. I do this nearly on all my loudspeaker drivers. This is mainly due to a change in impulse response. Original drivers are poor in this discipline.

Last edited by Freedom666; 23rd September 2019 at 02:16 PM.

Piezo VS voice coil tweetersHide this!Advertise here!