Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Playing with Aiwa book shelf speakers
Playing with Aiwa book shelf speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2016, 10:24 PM   #1
enzedone is offline enzedone  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Playing with Aiwa book shelf speakers

I was given these by a friend, so I thought I would have a bit of a tinker.

AIWA SX-NAV95 is the model if anyone's interested, but they are not high end of course.

I pulled them apart and removed the plastic front, sanded the boxes down ready to cover.

Pulled the two drivers out

Pulled the mesh from the plastic cover to use later.

Filled in the existing port and used the tweeter hole with a bamboo cup(end removed), for the new one. Hoping it would be ok.

Glued cork onto the sides and top of boxes and oiled (after staining with a single coat) 6 coats, then stuck a cork block on top to hold the tweeter unit. I find most of this stuff at the 2 dollar shops.

Also found a mesh basket used to hold pens and pencils, drilled a hole in the bottom and made a hole in the side to slide the cable through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender 6.jpg (48.6 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5294.jpg (492.4 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5287.jpg (943.0 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5288.jpg (776.1 KB, 224 views)
I realized that a major part of my job was to figure out how to use technology control to create economic force, or leverage, such that money and business flowed in Microsoft's direction” — Alex St.John, father of DirectX.
Old 8th December 2016, 10:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I used plastercine to cover the terminals while painting the tweeters as it can form any shape and be peeled off easily.

I also glued a circle of cork onto the back of the tweeter with a thread in it, which I would later use to attach to the rear of the basket. Cut some felt surrounds to secure up against the mesh for the tweeters.

I also glued the mesh onto the front of the tweeters.

Next I replaced the caps on the cross-overs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender 3.jpg (751.3 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5291.jpg (788.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (647.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0910.JPG (745.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0911.JPG (615.4 KB, 66 views)
I realized that a major part of my job was to figure out how to use technology control to create economic force, or leverage, such that money and business flowed in Microsoft's direction” — Alex St.John, father of DirectX.
Old 8th December 2016, 10:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I took out the old orange caps and replaced them with others.

I then stated to work on the main drivers.

I took two packets of 500grm plastercine and proceeded to work in onto the rear of the drivers little by little pushing in into the gaps building up layers and including the shielding. I used a total of about 450grm per driver. I have done this before on my much more expensive OB drivers with such great success, that putting on these was not even a second thought.
It won't go hard, crack or sag. Never dries out, so no worries. My OB drivers are still going well and they are waaaaaaaaaaay more expensive than these little things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5282.jpg (505.7 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5283.JPG (817.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender 5.jpg (545.4 KB, 91 views)
Old 8th December 2016, 10:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Glued the final front cork on in two steps. First the flat front was glued, then using contact glue rolled the edges down.

Made up some felt surrounds for the drivers.

Put felt on the bottom as well

Glued the tweeters in place

Installed the main drivers and they were done.

God I lover plastercine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0912.JPG (653.7 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0909.JPG (497.5 KB, 96 views)
Old 8th December 2016, 10:55 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

silk purse, huh?
Old 8th December 2016, 10:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

They actually sound better than they should. But don't take my word for it, go and buy some plastercine and try this out on some speakers you have lying around. I have also used this stuff to dampen the chassis of a CD player with great results.
Old 8th December 2016, 11:33 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

over here, we've been using an HVAC clay based product called "DuctSeal" for at least 30yrs

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
Old 8th December 2016, 11:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I never seen that here.
Old 9th December 2016, 10:47 AM   #9
midrange is offline midrange  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Is this "plasticine". I cannot find plastercine.
Old 9th December 2016, 05:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Very sorry my spelling mistake

Assorted Plasticine Block 500 G | Hobbycraft

It's not modelling clay, it contains petroleum jelly so will not set and go hard.

Of course to get the best results, you MUST use the Audiofile grade product and pay 10 times standard retail price.

Last edited by enzedone; 9th December 2016 at 06:03 PM.

Playing with Aiwa book shelf speakersHide this!Advertise here!