Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Playing with Aiwa book shelf speakers
Playing with Aiwa book shelf speakers
Playing with Aiwa book shelf speakers Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2016, 02:55 AM   #11
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Oxygen-free, mono-crystal cryogenic-treated, with C47 painted Japanese mulberry paper wrappers at the very least
Old 10th December 2016, 03:00 AM   #12
enzedone is offline enzedone  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I realized that a major part of my job was to figure out how to use technology control to create economic force, or leverage, such that money and business flowed in Microsoft's direction” — Alex St.John, father of DirectX.
Old 10th December 2016, 06:15 AM   #13
Fast Eddie D is offline Fast Eddie D  United States
diyAudio Member

That's the most elaborate turd polishing I've ever seen.

I'm a turd polisher myself. I think you did a nice job.
Old 10th December 2016, 06:26 AM   #14
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Nice job but the box should be flipped upside down so the tweeter sits near to the woofer.
I know that perfection doesn't belong to this world but this basic knowledge should be *used*
Old 10th December 2016, 08:20 AM   #15
dragonweed is offline dragonweed  Hungary
Banned

For all that effort you put into that project, you should have bought a decent dome tweeter instead of guilding the original rather crappy one...

GRS 1TD1-8 1" Dome Tweeter 8 Ohm

Ok. I guess in NZ is not that easy....
Old 10th December 2016, 09:39 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I did not want to spend more money, the wife would have me strung up!

yes i was looking and listening today and realised i could have easily flipped the units over, nevrmind.

those tweeters actually sound quits nice. Anyway it was fun tinkering and listening to improved sound out of these things. The audio world/industry is so full of BS! People seem to be so caught up in perceived notions that gear cant possibly sound decent if its cheap. I have long gotten over that, having to use what i have and on low budgets, so no ego issues here.
I realized that a major part of my job was to figure out how to use technology control to create economic force, or leverage, such that money and business flowed in Microsoft's direction” — Alex St.John, father of DirectX.

Last edited by enzedone; 10th December 2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10th December 2016, 09:06 PM   #17
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

The modification of yours is really interesting. Good job! I have some Aiwa speakers as well, 4 or 5" bassmid and a cone tweeter. The XO filter is made only of one capacitor for the HP. In the spring time I'll try to build a new cabinet and a completely new filter. I don't see a point in acquiring a better tweeter. I'll use the wood from a cupboard, think it's 14 mm chipboard veneered. We'll see.
Old 10th December 2016, 09:30 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Sweet

I actually don't like dome tweeters, I like the paper drivers. I've had expensive speakers with poly......bla,bla drivers and special dome tweeters. I found them to be too crass/harsh.

I only buy/listen to paper. I like the 'chillaxed' sound they give.
Old 11th December 2016, 01:16 AM   #19
Don Hills is offline Don Hills  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Sign of the times... low-end speakers used to have standard catalogue drivers poorly matched to solid enclosures. Nowadays low end speakers usually have drivers optimised (*) for the enclosures, but the enclosures themselves are often little thicker than cardboard. You can get a significant increase in performance by transferring the drivers into a solid enclosure and using a proper (though basic) crossover. You can also take the opportunity to tune for a flatter bass response rather than the hump often used to give the impression of more bass.

(*) For typical mass-produced mini-systems, with modern design software it costs no more to have a driver built to specified parameters than to accept an off-the-shelf item. The enclosure determines the driver parameters, rather than the other way round. (The enclosure size is usually chosen to match the size of the electronics unit.)
Old 11th December 2016, 01:31 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Im not up on all the techy side of things. I did not want build another enclosure, too much money.

These were just messing around, but the improved sound is quite remarkable considering the components used.

I have had Plasticine on my Hawthorne OB's for a few years now and are completely sold on the improvement to them, so was keen to try something else just to confirm this theory. And that Plasticine has stuck hard, no issues what so ever. Could have done a better job on them, but its all about the sound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0924.JPG (761.4 KB, 72 views)

Playing with Aiwa book shelf speakersHide this!Advertise here!