NOLA speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, yes, I searched...I have not found many relevant threads about NOLA speakers.

Yes, yes, I said I will not make any more speakers. I run out of rooms, I even have two systems in some rooms, and recently started stacking them in layers. Ok, I lied, I and going to make more speakers, I am addicted, I admit.

I want to start new thread to discuss NOLA speakers.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Every time I visit audio show, like Rocky Mountain...or Capital audio fest, I always like the sound of NOLA speakers. Formerly ALON.

Mr. Marchisotto, from Dahlquist fame, is a veteran when it comes to the speaker design. He has been using open baffle midranges for decades now. I do, and many other here, sure like open baffle midrange speakers.

Question: does any of you have any specific knowledge about any of these speakers? Crossovers?

Attachments

• concertgrand_sm.jpg
    concertgrand_sm.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,663
  • BabyGrandReference2-sm.jpg
    BabyGrandReference2-sm.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,635
I am stumped why they're not more popular.

At CES 2016, Carl had a little dipole setup that was basically equivalent to a Bose sub-satellite. He had two satellites, along with an 8" sub on the floor.

That modest little system beat 80% of what I heard at CES, at any price.

Admittedly, it couldn't get loud, but if you spend a lot of the day sitting in front of a PC, his setup would be killer. Even more curious, the parts were very modest, I'd estimate he was using about $100 worth of drivers. The cabinets certainly cost far more than the drivers did.

I did notice a couple things he was doing that were out-of-the-ordinary:

1) He had the speakers as far from the walls as he could get them they were basically in the center of the room. I think that contributed to the great imaging.
2) He was running them pretty hard, and I think he was taking advantage of some 'euphonic' harmonic distortion from the tube amps and the speakers.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am stumped why they're not more popular.

I did notice a couple things he was doing that were out-of-the-ordinary:

1) He had the speakers as far from the walls as he could get them they were basically in the center of the room. I think that contributed to the great imaging.
2) He was running them pretty hard, and I think he was taking advantage of some 'euphonic' harmonic distortion from the tube amps and the speakers.

Thanks Patrick, both valid points.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I personaly am not interested in Brio, as I consider it computer system, even it can sound decent, it has limitations. Those interested in cardioid type radiation will enjoy it as small system for computer or office.

But there is another interesting speaker set, much more highend, which you guys may enjoy to disect!

Attachments

• Proteus-comp1.jpg
    Proteus-comp1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,898
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Juhazi, they always sound "musical". That is the way to describe the sound of NOLA. I found this true for all their models. Obviously, designed by one person, but still, there is something to make sound coherent. When I listen to other brands, I often hear high end speaker, but I am aware I am listening to the recording. It may be precise, but still recording. Nola speakers always sounded like real instruments. That's why I would like to learn more.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've heard the NOLA speakers once or twice at shows. Crazy looking things. I don't actually remember how they sound, but must have liked them because I do remember chatting with the lady in the room and complimenting her on the sound. :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member

Patrick,

I would add these additional observations:

3) Speakers (that I am interested in) sport short vertical line array for midrange/tweeter to minimize reflections from the floor and ceiling.
4) Only midrange section is dipole, as I have not seen any tweeters pointing back.

Others, feel free to chime in. I do not mind talking to myself, but I would love to see the crossovers, as I am interested to see the slopes and other stuff...

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just a brief update, mostly for myself. I created small narrow baffle, not much bigger than drivers itself, from two foam core boards, laminated together, and some braces in the back. Light and quite stiff.
I connected 4 midwoofers series parallel, to get ~4ohms. I measured fr response, was very close to posted by John K. Not as pretty, but similar. I high passed the midwoofers with minidsp at ~160 Hz and listened for a while. Sounded boring.
I constructed 4th order LR filter, even I did not have precise values of caps and inductors, just temporarily. I re-measured the response and got what I needed, pretty steep rollof after ~3kHz, even the parts were not very precise. I listened a little more, and it sounded even more boring.
So I added the tweeter, HiVi big planar, even it was not mounted on the baffle, just leaning to the array, it sounded amazing. Wide, clean, spacious, very promising...

I may take some pics just for fun, even my speaker laboratory room is a mess, as I have many projects going on. I just finished crossover for AC130F1/Fountek horn loaded ribbon tweeter. Amazing results...will post in separate thread.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
581980d1480083617-nola-speakers-proteus-comp1.jpg

It would sound very full and powerful. With dipole midbass and what looks like side firing bipole sub woofers, open baffle mids and tweeters. My concern is the possible comb interference with two widely spaced tweeters and mids on the top. I assume this is all active as a passive XO for this would be kind of epic.

Have you heard this system in person?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.