NOLA speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
In the meantime...here is an old Alon Model II and its crossover.

Attachments

• 9cf3c90aea9065c7b7649ef1ffb30c0b.jpg
    9cf3c90aea9065c7b7649ef1ffb30c0b.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 600
  • Alon-II-Schematic.jpg
    Alon-II-Schematic.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 608
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice work Adason. That AC130F1 is very smooth - I have same driver and it sounds very nice. That XO looks fantastic - what are the values? Maybe a tad more reduction of HF's to flatten it out vs the 5dB gradual rise you have.

Good thing you are XO at 150hz as the AC130F1 has rising distortion below this when used in a sealed box. If open baffle, or vented then much cleaner. It doesn't like compressed air behind its cone.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks X, for values I need to be home and open the box with crossover. I have variable resistor for bsc, so I can adjust. The slight rising response up close is quite flat in listening position.

I never tried AC130F1 on open baffle. Have you? The cone is quite soft, so using as midrange is preferable. Perhaps Alon Model II clone?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
330Hz corresponds to 40in distance from the cone to some surface that is causing a reflection. Either the floor or the back wall. The AC130F1 doesn't have a native dip there though. I have tested it in open baffle but not used as a speaker in OB. It measures very well and should sound nice as an OB mid range.

Alons are very nice speakers. I have a friend who uses them as studio reference monitors. These are the ones with a 5in OB midrange, a sealed dual 8in woofer, and a softdome tweeter. So they are same designer as NOLA's?

Alons are very nice speakers. I have a friend who uses them as studio reference monitors. These are the ones with a 5in OB midrange, a sealed dual 8in woofer, and a softdome tweeter. So they are same designer as NOLA's?

Carl Marchisotto. He started with Dahlquist back in the 70s, stayed there until the late 80s when Jon Dahlquist was badly injured in a car accident and was forced to sell the company. Started Acarian Systems (Alon) shortly after, then left to start Nola in 2004.

I heard a borrowed set that was loaned to an audio group I belonged to that got together for listening and dinner nights, and some of the members would bring their own equipment (some turntable and valve amps I could only dream of owning $$$).

I personally didn't feel like they really cut the mustard in the tweeter stakes compared to my RAAL tweeters (not the same amount of detail or as natural sounding). The build quality was fantastic, and attention to detail second to none, but mid upwards I was expecting more from a set of speakers that dear.

The general consensus was they were nice speakers but performance for dollars spent just wasn't there, and no one showed any interest in buying them from the dealer they were borrowed from.

We had borrowed other speakers on other occasions that sounded nicer, and even some of the members DIY speakers rated just as highly. With a price tag of $65k (was a few years ago) they just didn't wow us for the money.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.