Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Help 8" coax project.
Help 8" coax project.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2016, 07:18 PM   #31
Drummer 35 is offline Drummer 35  Spain
diyAudio Member

Hi again!

Been working on the cabinet design, and want to show you what I got so far.

speaker 1.jpg

speaker2.jpg

As you can see, itīs a kind of "sandwich". An inner mdf cabinet and a front and rear solid wood panels.

Now the vent.

vent front.jpg

vent back.jpg

The vent will be screwed to the front panel, so Iīll build different sizes (25-30-35mm) so I can try different tunings.

Let me know what you think about or if you would change on that design.

Thanks!

David

Last edited by Drummer 35; 11th December 2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 13th September 2018, 02:06 PM   #32
newpaton2 is offline newpaton2  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Did you ever finish the design? How did they sound?
Old 14th September 2018, 07:58 AM   #33
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

I own the same driver and used it for some active crossover experiments a few years ago. I used them in a small closed box and EQed them for -6 dB @ 40 Hz.
Although intended for very close-field listening that setup ate power for breakfast and max SPL was definitely lacking. But within their limits they sounded very nice with very good Imaging.
I always wanted to put those in a larger box with a 12" woofer but haven't found the time for that so far.

Regards

Charles
Old 15th September 2018, 12:08 PM   #34
Drummer 35 is offline Drummer 35  Spain
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I did.

I like how they sound. Very detailed mids and good imaging, but lacks low end with a passive xover, even in a big box.

I think those speakers would benefit from using an active xover as Phase did, or use them with a 12-15 woofer. If using them alone, you will strugle getting down 60hz-65hz

The Dynamikks monitor 8 speaker, uses this same driver, but with a dopped cone. (added weight to help it reach lower freqs) I thought I could try that on mines, but Iīll have to redo the xover, and Im scared I could ruin the cones with dopping, and those are not cheap ones...

Help 8" coax project.Hide this!Advertise here!