Troels Seas 5"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First off a thank you to all the hobbyist who contribute to the diy HiFi community. I was hoping you guys may be able to shed some light on a question I have pertaining to Troels 5" Seas design using the the 22TAF/G tweeter SEAS 5INCH . I have the CA15RLY driver but not the tweeter. What I do have is the Seas 19TFF1(H737) and the Seas 27TFFC(H0881) tweeters. I am sure by now you know my question. What if any mods would be recommended to the crossover to use one or the other? I do not have the crossover skills some on this website have. I can build cabinets, wire up crossovers and put everything together. Just do not have the crossover design skills. I am more of a kit builder. This design will be built to Troels specs except for the tweeter mod in the crossover. Thank you for any help you can give me

Since you ask me to comment, Kevin, I can only reiterate that the tweeter filter is a standard 3kHz design. You simply adjust the input 5.6R for level. I do think Troels might have overdone the 4.7R/1.5uF zobel which will rob the tweeter of top end. 7.5/0.68uF is more your typical SEAS compensation.

I would guess the input resistor should be about 3.3R for the 88dB 19TFF, and 6.8R for the 91dB 27TFFC. Matter of taste really.

FWIW, 3.3uF/0.27mH/10uF would get you almost to the same place. The old standard KEF filter. :cool:

system7, I just finished building my bookshelf based on troels 5 inch project with ca15rly but I didn't understand why there are few basses it seems that the woofer moves little, maybe it's because of the rlc cell?
Are the values that Troels has put in place right? If it is not essential, I can also remove it. Regards Gilardi Italy

system7, I just finished building my bookshelf based on troels 5 inch project with ca15rly but I didn't understand why there are few basses it seems that the woofer moves little, maybe it's because of the rlc cell?
Are the values that Troels has put in place right? If it is not essential, I can also remove it. Regards Gilardi Italy

The cone moves less with some bass notes because you hit the tuning frequency of a vented box where almost all the sound comes from the port and the cone movement is minimal.

The thing you need to bear in mind with this design is it achieves baffle step compensation in a different way to other designs. The bass inductor is undersized and eq is provided by the LCR.

Troels uses this method to compensate for a room dip at 500Hz. A dip which no-one else has. If I followed this design for my room, for example, I would have an unpleasant hump in the midrange.

Just something to consider ;)

Oh, and that left to right response slope of his...eek!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.