Speaker Placement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am not sure if this is the right forum...I looked and didn't find a "just right" place to post this.

Moderator, please feel free to move it to the right spot if this isn't it!

I have some rather nice bookshelf speakers and a powered sub in my study. The study is about 14 by 14 so it isn't that large and there is no convenient place to position them. I was toying with the idea of mounting them to the wall on a bracket designed for these speakers. I did this years ago in a bedroom and they sounded terrible.

My questions are:

1. Is this a futile effort? Will wall-mounting kill the good sound of an otherwise good sounding setup?

2. Is there a method for wall-mounting that works pretty well?

Thanks

Near the wall will support (boost) the low frequencies, so it might sound bass heavy. You could try plugging the port to reduce bass if necessary. Every speaker is designed to play in a certain setting. The ones designed to play against a wall are usually labelled so. Most others are intended to play 1-3 feet from the wall. By "intended" and "voiced" I mean the crossovers are EQd to have flat frequency response by incorporating the reflection from the rear wall.

If you want or need the bass ports, then make sure the on wall placement does not interfere with their function. They need clear space to work properly. 1 foot minimum, imo, but you can experiment with the distance to hear how close the port can tolerate the wall and still function adequately.

Putting the speaker against the front wall will reduce the illusion of spatial depth, and lateral imaging will also be affected negatively. Audiophiles who value "imaging" usually put the speakers far away from front wall as space allows.

You might try putting a sound absorptive panel (2-3x larger than the speaker) between the speaker and the wall to cancel the reflection from the wall. This reflection is too close in time to the original sound from the speaker which causes the sound to be blurred.

Putting the speakers close to wall also creates a dip in the frequency response caused by the cancellation of sound waves of length corresponding to the distance of bass driver to the wall. The closer this distance, the higher the cancellation dip in FR, the more audible the problem.
mh-audio.nl - Acoustic

All that said, it is possible to make it sound good, your previous experience does not hold sway. It will not just happen instantly, you'll need to adjust and solve problems as they arise. If you use a computer as your signal source you can ad an EQ plugin to your player to make some EQ adjustments which may help a lot. Time align the sobwoofer so it's sound arrives same time as the main speakers. Within a foot is close enough for low freq.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Some of the best speakers are built to work with walls and corners, and image exceptionally well, but yes, unless they are built to go there a wall is the last thing an unsuspecting speaker wants to see.

Is there any way you could build a false wall flush with the front of the baffle, just a thought.

Exactly square rooms without substantial breaks in boundaries - open doorways, picture windows, etc can certainly have issues regardless of speaker placement.

A good read:
DECWARE - Article about Setting up a Listening Room without Treatments

I tried the diagonal set-up in one of my rooms - before the last interior design /furniture placement upgrade delegated speaker placement to not optimal - it's definitely worth a try.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.