77Hz bass horn, Azura and GOTO horn project starts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, a new projects starts....quite some fun with this one for sure.

Starting off with a Volvotreter designed 77Hz bass horn, using Faital Pro 15 inch driver.

The unit will be finished in a light colour Birch ply (24mm), CNC'd initially, then mitres made via bench saw.

The attached pic shows a completed horn built by someone else...but the pic includes my built Yuichi 290Hz bi-radial horns. I particularly like what this guy did with the Walnut and white finishes for the bass horn.

I'm currently working my way through the mid horn options...with choices around Azura 160 or 204...or an Autotech equivalent.

(BTW, Martin Sneddon, Azura principal) uses 160Hz horn and Vitavox compression driver...1 meter long, with his bass horn / 15 inch woofer...in a 'simple' two-way config. See pic attached...ignore Lowther driver in the bass horn.)

The reason why the mid horn is large, is that driver selection will likely be something exotic like WE555 (or 666 from Horn Solutions, Europe), GOTO or the BMS 4592ND "mid" driver (200Hz to 9,000Hz).

A GOTO tweeter is already in the mix.

CNC'd custom stand in matching Birch.

Sub section to be decided...but likely to be finalised later on....let's see what response we get from the 77Hz horn first. If sub, then it will be tapped horn(s).

Quality passive xover, all tuned specifically.

Xover points target: 250hz / 5,000Hz.

Andrew

Attachments

• Martin's 160 system.jpg
    Martin's 160 system.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_2488.jpeg
    IMG_2488.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 605
  • untitled 2.jpg
    untitled 2.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 588
  • untitled 3.png
    untitled 3.png
    689.6 KB · Views: 584
  • untitled.png
    untitled.png
    787.9 KB · Views: 593
(BTW, Martin Sneddon, Azura principal) uses 160Hz horn and Vitavox compression driver...1 meter long, with his bass horn / 15 inch woofer...in a 'simple' two-way config. See pic attached...ignore Lowther driver in the bass horn.)

Hi Andrew,

Cool project.. I think it's a Vitavox woofer on the mid bass horn in that pic. Although, I did see Martin use Lowther in the same type of horn in other pics before. Those nicely potted Black Art Audio iron are on those amps too.

Anyway, I've read before from the late JMLC and others that some mid conical horns could benefit from adding big roundovers at the mouth (?) But I'm not sure if it also applies to bass horns. Those more knowledgable than I am could chime in on that topic...

It would be interesting to see what type of XO, and XO points you'd end up with.. Oh, another interesting WE 555 clone is from Lamar Audio. It uses a neodymium permanent magnet and carbon composite diaphragm, so I'm not really sure about it.

Hi Andrew,

Cool project.. I think it's a Vitavox woofer on the mid bass horn in that pic. Although, I did see Martin use Lowther in the same type of horn in other pics before. Those nicely potted Black Art Audio iron are on those amps too.

Anyway, I've read before from the late JMLC and others that some mid conical horns could benefit from adding big roundovers at the mouth (?) But I'm not sure if it also applies to bass horns. Those more knowledgable than I am could chime in on that topic...

It would be interesting to see what type of XO, and XO points you'd end up with.. Oh, another interesting WE 555 clone is from Lamar Audio. It uses a neodymium permanent magnet and carbon composite diaphragm, so I'm not really sure about it.

Thanks Fred. I'm not sure about the round-over on bass horn.

On xovers, we'll determine that once we have the horns built and in the room for testing. All of my xovers are custom built to suit the horn/driver config. Ordinarily, LR2 is used unless we need something more complex. If we end up with Azura 160, then we'll target a low xover point around 250Hz, so we maximise the compression driver's range.

Joined 2008
Paid Member

So, a new projects starts....quite some fun with this one for sure.

Starting off with a Volvotreter designed 77Hz bass horn, using Faital Pro 15 inch driver.

The unit will be finished in a light colour Birch ply (24mm), CNC'd initially, then mitres made via bench saw.

The attached pic shows a completed horn built by someone else...but the pic includes my built Yuichi 290Hz bi-radial horns. I particularly like what this guy did with the Walnut and white finishes for the bass horn.

I'm currently working my way through the mid horn options...with choices around Azura 160 or 204...or an Autotech equivalent.

The reason why the mid horn is large, is that driver selection will likely be something exotic like WE555 (or 666 from Horn Solutions, Europe), GOTO or the BMS 4592ND "mid" driver (200Hz to 9,000Hz).

A GOTO tweeter is already in the mix.

CNC'd custom stand in matching Birch.

Sub section to be decided...but likely to be finalised later on....let's see what response we get from the 77Hz horn first. If sub, then it will be tapped horn(s).

Quality passive xover, all tuned specifically.

Andrew

Xover points target: 250hz / 5,000Hz. EXCELLENT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.