Help selecting 8" wooofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a transmission line woofer cabinet that was part of a New York Acoustics (remember them), 3-way, semi-DIY system I built in the mid 1980's. The bass was always exceptional so I kept the (roughly 3' X 3' X 1') woofer cabinet and used it in parallel (with a series crossover inductor) with a number of bookshelf speakers (sitting on top) over the years. Hadn't listened to it for a while tho.

Just got a pair of LS-50's and realize that the woofer drivers are distorting (rubbing) so it's time to replace them. I haven't followed most of the advancements in speaker measurement and selection criteria for various cabinet designs - not to mention today's plethora of driver possibilities. SO - I'm asking you'se experts for suggestions.

THANKS in advance

Charles

In general, an enclosure is tuned for the specific woofer.
If you can find another woofer that closely matches the Fs and Qts, the results should be close. While its actually easier to design a new enclosure with a promising driver, substitutions can be successful.

HTH

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.