Dome tweeter sensitivity affected by dispersion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, yes. I mean if we're talking the same tweeter, if you place it in a waveguide you'll get higher sensitivity on axis.

In general, tweeters with waveguides and horns have much higher sensitivity than without.

But if we're talking about comparing a random sampling of 1" silk dome tweeters, there's not much correlation. The sensitivity differences will be mostly explained by the motor.

Best,

Erik

All 1" dome tweeters with a flat mounting plate have the same 180 degrees dispersion up to say 7 kHz.

I seriously doubt that. Most tweeters do not even have 180 degree dispersion at 4000Hz. By 10000Hz many tweeters are already at least 10dB down at 60 degrees. There are some tweeters, like the Tang Band ceramic tweeters that have very wide dispersion only 4dB down at 10000Hz. I've noticed some high sensitivity tweeters have terrible off axis response.

A waveguide increases sensitivity in part because of the narrowing of dispersion to the coverage angle that directs more sound to the coverage pattern. So since a high dispersion tweeter would have a higher power response, wouldn't that mean it would be less sensitive in order to spread sound to a greater area?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.