lumine-one-2-way

You need to be a bit more specific.. What part of the "presentation " is no good, and in what manner? Bass, mids, upper octaves, sondstage, depth, clarity, coloration, overall musicality?
What are your sources, room dimensions, box positions?
Did you build the kit exactly as specified? Did you (or can you) make any measurements -freq-response, phase, impedance?
If we know more, we can help more.....

Can you test the time-alignment accuracy of your Lumine-one? Several new 2-way designs invest engineering into good time coherence.
Reverse the polarity on your tweeter and re-test.

=======WORTH SOME STUDY=====
Troels Gravesen developed a time delay crossover for high-end ScanSpeak Illuminator Monitor (D2904/710003 tweeters. Midbass 18WU/8741-T00. His design produces proper T-M time alignment on a flat baffle using low phase shift LR2/LR2 crossover slopes.

"The crossover follows an LR2 topology. For the bass an RC circuit across series coil provides damping of peak at 4-6 kHz. The tweeter high-pass filter is a bit unusual as it provides compensation for the delayed response from the woofer and allows drivers to be connected with the same polarity. Bottom line is that we can manage a close-to-perfect LR2 topology." Troels Gravesen

Illuminator-Monitor

I exactly bought this kit and finsihed it with installing on 7.5L cabinet. My listening area around 70 sq. feet. Speaker placed in front of me about 6 feet and toe-in 15 degree.
First impression the sound does not much outperformed in high~middle band. The soundstage/image does not in conceret and widen enough. And high/low extension does not enough. And it seems the tweeter and mid-bass drivers working does not in harmony.
Sorry, I don't know how measure the time-alignment accuracy....
So my strategic is simply replace the new or modify exsiting xover , then doing A/B compare on overall performance.
I read the design page of Illuminator-Monitor , it is so tailor-made and sophisticated design. So i wnat to try replace my exsiting xover with it for the comparsion.
However, Troels Gravesen's design he used drivers are 18WU/8741-T00 & D2904/710003, my kit they are 15WU/4741T & R3004/6620. So if I really try this xover on my kit, whether which components value should be changed and have the circuit revised ?

Thanks for your support in advance !

I have tried to make some sense out of the data available.
The cabinet was simulated as a very large sealed one, so
I haven't used any other impedance plot but the manufacturer's
in free air because the usual one modeled with TS parameters
doesn't track the measured one with enough accuracy.
Grey curve is out of phase, blue is in phase.

Attachments

• Madisound's FR.jpg
    Madisound's FR.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 339
  • Lojzek's FR.jpg
    Lojzek's FR.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 325
  • Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 331
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is a pretty premium kit as far as components go and I am surprised that it doesn't sound good. Photos of your implementation as well as a microphone measurement would really help to pin point the problem. If you can afford a $1200 speaker in parts, a $60 mic and free REW software is a trivial investment to better sound.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sounds like you need more baffle step compensation. Your box volume is a little less than what was recommended. A mic measurement would clear all this up. Small floor stand or bookshelf speakers when away from floor and walls tend to have anemic bass due to -6dB. Falloff of bass from baffle step. My guess is it needs more resistance on high shelf filter.

Hi to all. I am very new in DIY, just decided to make Scanspeak Lumine, as heard it at Youtube and was blown by the pristine and clear sound. Just Ordered the boxes, damping materials, and now I am choosing the drivers. I found a good price for 15WU8741T00 (8Ohm), and would like to use it instead of 15WU4741T00, which is just 4 Ohm. As far as I understood, crossover parts need to be changed. Unfortunatelly i have no good electrical background, so I can't figure which elements (L,R,C) in the crossover needs to be changed (wish to follow as much as close the topology of the original crossover, as it seems to give a proper balance between the drivers). Also I have an idea to use 8-ohm tweeter (the one from Sony ss-g55, 8 ohm, biocellulose, as its the best tweeter I ever heard) instead of SS R3004/6620 - 4Ohm, proposed by the schematics for Lumine.Can someone give a good advice?