Small and LOUD! iPhone size and LOUD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Loud & really small is not really possible. If you look to some of the drivers that come out of computers you could get down to that size. 3D printing is likely the best approach to make an enclosure.

It won’t go low and it won’t go really loud.

I have a growing collection for iMacs & other Macs.

How will it be powered?

dave

See, that is what is frustrating. Small AND loud IS possible. iphones, ipads, other devices CAN do it. SO: other than stupidly trying to hack a phone, there has to be another solution that comes even close. Has to be!....somebody out there must have a solution

Can be powered at this point by an DC voltage spec'd. The audio will drive the rest of the system design.

nnob - if I read your first post correctly, you're looking for speakers as small as those inside the 'phone?

two words:
good luck
not likely
current technology?

If you can tolerate them, in-ear 'phones are probably about as close as you're gonna get. The only driver close to that small that I'm aware of that can be heard across the room is attached to the exit end of your alimentary tract, and plays a limited spectrum of notes. .

Yeaaaah...you guys are starting to get why my handle is "noob"! Well done.

If it was an easy solution I probably would have found it, but you guys are the pros WW and I thought, hey, let's see what's out there.

Disappointed I am.

It seems I need to explain what I meant by iphone speakers being loud:

iphone speakers are loud.

Make sense ;)

Folks, this is a subjective judgment. I think they are loud, loud enough anyways. Audiophiles and pros, I get it, they sound terrible to you. I do not judge, your ears are better than mine ;)

SIMPLE: for my application they are perfect and the loudest speaker (I'm talking about the speakers at the base of the phone, for audio and speaker phone) at the perfect size. I don't care about loosing low end. I just need something similar.

Somebody have a better, less stupid solution than chrisb?

TIA

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here is a pic of salvage from 3 macintoshd, a Luxi-Lamp iMac, a G4 tower, and the drivers from the biamped system in a 1st gen 21.5" iMac (note the 19mm tweeter). The G4 enclosures with a bit of trimming might suit just fine as is. Add a small class D amp and away you go.

dave

Attachments

• mac-speakers.jpg
    mac-speakers.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 204
Hello,

I need a speaker system that is as small as an iphone's (or android, etc etc). Can anybody point me to a good source? Rather not DIY, but open to anything at this point.

TIA!

Parts Express sells drivers that are intended for phones and laptops. Just do a search for 1" and 2" full ranges.

iPhones are quite sturdy. I accidentally ran over mine with a car, and it still worked.

The challenge you'll face is making an enclosure that's small and strong. The aluminum and glass iPhone is quite strong.

Parts Express sells drivers that are intended for phones and laptops. Just do a search for 1" and 2" full ranges.

iPhones are quite sturdy. I accidentally ran over mine with a car, and it still worked.

The challenge you'll face is making an enclosure that's small and strong. The aluminum and glass iPhone is quite strong.

Marcus Halberstram, er, Mr. Bateman, great tip, thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.