Request for SEOS-24 and Yuichi A290 comparision

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I'm interested in a comparision of both the SEOS-24 and Yuichi A290 horns.
Recently, I've been intrigued with the idea of a compression driver playing a wide frequency range, and these horns came up as the better choices.

So far, from what I've read, the SEOS is designed for constant directivity and can be used down to 500Hz with the right driver.

However, I cannot find much information about the directivity performance of the Yuichi, only that people love how they sound. Conversely, I've found that people have not commented much about the sound of the SEOS-24, but only publish graphs of their performance.

Further to this the TH-4001, which the A290 seems to be following is used down to 425Hz, whereas the A290 is used to 600Hz. What are there differences between the two? Since their dimensions and profile seem similar.

Jonathan

I've never heard a Smith horn that sounds good.

I've never heard a SEOS horn that sounds bad.

Waveguide and horn design has come a long way since the Smith design from sixty five years ago.

attachment.php

The JBL 2384 horn with the 2435 Be driver may be the best I have heard.

While I have the 2431 Al and 2432 Ti drivers, I went straight for the 2435 Be.

The new JBL horn/driver combo replaced the EV DH7 Ti driver on the HR90 horn (which looks a bit like the Yuichi ), such a huge difference than I am not looking for anything else to try at present, and my SEOS horns are still in their shipping container.

I've never heard a Smith horn that sounds good.

I've never heard a SEOS horn that sounds bad.

Waveguide and horn design has come a long way since the Smith design from sixty five years ago.

As the Yuichi A290 isn't a Smith horn clone, I'm not sure the comparison is all that relevant. I guess they are both wood and have fins in them, but IIRC the A290 is a TAD TH4001 clone.

The JBL 2384 horn with the 2435 Be driver may be the best I have heard.

While I have the 2431 Al and 2432 Ti drivers, I went straight for the 2435 Be.

The new JBL horn/driver combo replaced the EV DH7 Ti driver on the HR90 horn (which looks a bit like the Yuichi ), such a huge difference than I am not looking for anything else to try at present, and my SEOS horns are still in their shipping container.

What is the advantage of the 2384 compared to a similar sized SEOS?

Do you want to build one of the RM-xV versions ? This would sure be fun.

I have read a paper recently that was showing the frequency response of the RM-7V. I would say that people using them are definitley not make a mistake by chosing them. But many will make the mistake to not EQ them properly. Due to the EBS tunig they have an early rolloff in the bass and they also have a slight hump between 100 and 200 Hz. When used in studios they are usually soffit mounted. And I guess they will always be meticulously EQed. The overall response is dropping towards the high frequencies. I would not deny to take a pair if they were given to me, since I like speakers that sound lush, effortless and warm.
I am also building some sort of MTM currently, although with more recent and much cheaper components (looks less sexy than one of the large biradials of course):

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/237750-2x12-horn-speaker-design-3.html#post4645994

Regards

Charles

Last edited:
phase_accruate, the intention is to follow something like the RM-6V or 7V but using AE TD15 midbasses. I don't have any large drivers or suitable waveguides as yet, only the DE250 (and some of its clones from PRV, denovo and dayton), and waveguides from QSC, PRV, Dayton and the SEOS-12.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
TH4001 is used in the Rey RM-6V and 7V down to 425Hz.

The horn used in Kinoshita/Rey audio is a slightly modified version of TH4001 not the standard TAD ones (RH3).

IIRC they are loading CD lower in freq and are designed for in wall application.

Anyway, nothing stop you to use the th4001 and clone down to 480hz in MTM configuration (1/2 octave lower than 640hz cutoff, not so much loading of CD and with phase issues) but filter type used is critical and not off the shelf config for RM-X. CD ability to go down low are essential too.

I've heard nice results obtained with jbl 2450 or K8 or Meyer MS2001A /TH4001 clone in place of TAD/TH4001.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.