Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Yet another 6+1 construction: SB17MFC35-8 + SB26ADC-C000-4
Yet another 6+1 construction: SB17MFC35-8 + SB26ADC-C000-4
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2016, 01:47 PM   #21
DIYBras is offline DIYBras  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Default The reasons for...

...the clean sound (all but bass)?
For me, not the low Rms alone (buzzword now).
Various parameters/measurements in unison probably explain that.
That said, every speaker is a compromise. All speakers I talked here are very good for almost all things, but fail in some.
Old 15th December 2016, 02:02 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default Another test...

This is interesting and controversial: I simulated the crossover transfer into a active mode, with a tubed crossover, and applied the results in the actual active cross circuit. The results? The frequency response is almost the same, or same, and the tweeter notch is not needed.
But one thing I liked is the "unexplainable" cleaner and "dynamic" (sic) sound via active crossover. Tested also with one 22+22W valve amp with 6CW5 for tweeter, and a 60+60W PL509 tube amp for woofer.
Some friends helped (and one disturbed) the evaluation.
One friend of mine likes active crossover, and said I've had a "obvious" betterment in system. Hmmm... Lets see:
One thing I noted in fullrange systems, apart from eccentric response, is some "directness"/less "fog" in the sound reproduction. Most people say that is due to absence of crossover, but I say: is due to direct connection to amplifier. No coil/cap to rotate de signal current phase, so the amplifier "sees" the driver "naked", ie. without interferences. If one speaker generate some EMF, the coil (for example) will change the phase angle and apparent resistance, and the EMF damping is not the same. Loudspeakers already have a nasty inductance, and one only makes things worse with reactive components addition! Well, I don't bother if this is true or not. The fact is that the active mode resulted in some difference.
Old 15th May 2019, 09:49 PM   #23
Alex Music is offline Alex Music  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi, I'm really interested in making a comparison between the following tweeters:
SB Acoustics SB26ADC-C000-4
vs
Seas H1499_27TBCD_GB-DXT

Thank you.
Old 16th May 2019, 06:40 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Music View Post
Hi, I'm really interested in making a comparison between the following tweeters:
SB Acoustics SB26ADC-C000-4
vs
Seas H1499_27TBCD_GB-DXT

Thank you.
I've had both. The SEAS really have more controlled and better extreme HF dispersion, making the "image" more convincing, with very wide listening window. More lively sound. And supports more power due to higher mid band efficiency.
Cons are the difficult to hammer into correct response. Not that difficult, but really calls for a proper filter.

Other small comparisions I've listed various posts back in this thread.

Since I don't have any of them, I'm unable to making more tests.

Yet another 6+1 construction: SB17MFC35-8 + SB26ADC-C000-4Hide this!Advertise here!