SB Acoustics SB17NAC35-4 measurements!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Personally I think many people focus to much on box size calculation theories compared to the rest of the loudspeaker design process. ;)

I couldn't agree with this more. There is so much discussion about cabinet sizes and port tuning and so on. Yes, it is important, especially with ports, but there is so much more to speaker design than properly sizing the cabinet. Low frequency response depends as much on the room, if not more, as on the cabinet. And there are other much more user-friendly ways to affect it once the speaker goes in a room (EQ).

I think people focus on it because it's relatively easy. Most people can get to grips with the free box simulators etc but full on crossover design is a completely different kettle of fish.

People tend to focus on what they currently understand and can get to grips with. Nothing wrong with that, but once you can do the whole gamut of speaker design the box stuff takes a bit of a backseat.

5c686c859b6ebbf6017323236dc7000a.jpg

Just picked up a pair from samdee outside Bangkok. Visual impressions are positive - good looking driver.. very sturdy frame, large magnet and roll surround, lots of venting- only gripe being one dustcap is not pushed down evenly and it's quite noticeable.

Last edited:
5c686c859b6ebbf6017323236dc7000a.jpg

Just picked up a pair from samdee outside Bangkok. Visual impressions are positive - good looking driver.. very sturdy frame, large magnet and roll surround, lots of venting- only gripe being one dustcap is not pushed down evenly and it's quite noticeable.

Very surprised at that, Sb Acoustics drivers are generally very meticulous in their presentation. I was considering buying some SB 17NAC35-8 drivers for a project for my mum, maybe as a Christmas present.

And a thank you to you Goran for your website, it is an excellent resource for we DIY'ers, particularly for driver reviews and measurements.

A Merry Christmas to all (from 'down under').

C.M

It's a minor aesthetic gripe rather than a criticism of QC. I'm guessing the cone 'ribs' affect the circular shape slightly, so the dustcap really needs pushing down when glued. I've had far worse issues with other boutique drivers (dustcaps not glued on straight) so don't let it affect your buying decision

Last edited:
Just put together an MTM with SB17NAC and TW29 Satori tweeter. I am *very* impressed with the SB17. Having played with 830875, RS180, and Vifa NE225 recently. All great, but I prefer the SB17 overall. Really good bass, too.

Did you build a slim tower MTM design or stand mount? Any pics to share?

I've been curious how this driver(8ohm) would do in a small sealed 2-way design. It looks like it would do nicely in a 12-15L sealed box.

Terry

Thank you for the measurements Göran. They confirm that my box of about 40 liters and slotted port will work. I already built the box before I deside which driver will go into it. I now have to chose between the CRC 17 and Davis 19 KLVT. A carbon driver against a Kevlar driver. SD of the 17 CRC is only 118 cm2 against the Davis’ 141.
The distorsion peak in the high mid seems to be a product of the carbon layer itself. Other carbon drivers like the Davis have a similar character.

For a design like Troels SBAcoustics 61-NAC which uses a BW3 circuit for the tweeter crossover and an LR4 circuit for the midbass crossover..... how important is the 19mm high physical stepped baffle used by Troels for delay on this build?

Making 1st order Butterworth or 2nd LR crossovers often requires sloped or stepped front panels in order to provide proper frequency and phase integration. Earlier Troels stepped baffle 2-way designs use +LR2 on the midbass and -LR2 on the tweeter, which sum to reduce phase error. A physically stepped baffle seems worth the effort.

I use SB17CAC35-4 for 100Hz-2KHz in 5 Liters, closed box.

I do not like this ceramic speaker from SB Acoustics.
Transients are very fast, but the details is to little.
they have no refinement, no depth ...

Did anyone try these speakers anymore?

Compare with SB17NBAC35 ...

Do I get it wrong?

I use SB17CAC35-4 for 100Hz-2KHz in 5 Liters, closed box.

I do not like this ceramic speaker from SB Acoustics.
Transients are very fast, but the details is to little.
they have no refinement, no depth ...

Did anyone try these speakers anymore?

Compare with SB17NBAC35 ...

Do I get it wrong?

You compared the SB17CAC35-4 and SB17NBAC35-4 in the same speaker? (or is your SB17NBAC35 the 8 ohm version?)
If both 4ohm hey should sound pretty much identical based on specs.
I have the SB17NBAC35-4 myself and haven't compared to the CAC version but would be very suprised if it sounds as different as you describe.

I do not have SB17NBAC35

that's why I'm asking for a comparison.

In comparation with Seas MR18REX/XF H1699-08/06,
Seas have more detailed Mids.

Aah ok. Well I wouldn't expect much if any audible difference in your 100-2k range.
The other two drivers you mentioned (Peerless and Seas) are far less linear, have worse CSD and much more intermodulation and harmonic distortion.

So I suspect something else isn't going right in your use of the SB17CAC35-4. Can't guess what it is. Could be crossover, tweeter, cabinet, amplifier, room or even the music you're auditioning them with etc. But I can assure you that my SB17NBAC35-4 (and this almost certainly also goes for the CAC version) is capable of the highest level of detail, refinement and depth (using them with Hypex Fusion amps).
Also Troels has made a build with the SB17NAC35-4 called "SBAcoustics 61-NAC" and also rated it as one of the highest quality drivers available. (and the NBAC and CAC versions are even slightly better than the NAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.