SB17NRXC35-8 and SB29RDC-C0004 playground

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I guess it's worth a try. Interesting experiment would be leaving passive xovers on the drivers but adding delay by DSP to one loudspeaker, and by all-pass network to the other and then compare the sound.

I've rarely seen benefit from any passive network as complicated as that that doesn't have any drawbacks - which doesn't mean anything for this particular circuit untill it is tested.

I know Dynaudio Contour 1.3mk2 has it and i liked the sound. But would i like it better with digital delay with the same passive xover - that i don't know.

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with using a passive component all-pass filter to delay the tweeter response on a flat baffle??

Hi Line,

I've never felt any need to implement one in reality, but I have played with
it simulating. It's not the same what kind of values you choose. Affects the
high pass of a tweeter as well, so it shapes the overall response with addition
of a phase shift, naturally.

I know Dynaudio has used these networks before and nowdays too. Focus 110
has one.

Noticed you added delay in your sim. Did you define it as 0,54 or -0,54?
I know that convention of XSim is different than the one in PCD to achieve
the same result.

Did you define it as 0,54 or -0,54?
Xsim states: "Positive delay moves the driver away from the mic"

For a flat baffle, I used -0.54" to position the tweeter wave launch closer to the mic. The delay crossover circuit sims with a +/- 30_degree phase shift up to 10kHz.

If we machined a 0.54" back-step baffle for the tweeter I would use 0.00" in Xsim.
--------
SO, do the extra ladder delay L-C components "crap-up" the sound more than:
-poor time alignment on a flat baffle?
-extra tweeter baffle edge diffraction from a stepped-baffle?
-360_degree phase shift and extra poles from LR4/LR4?
-off-axis listening from a 13-15 degree slanted baffle?
-unequal slopes and unequal phase shifts from a BW3 tweet with LR2 woof?

When it comes to two way passive xovers, i haven't seen loudspeaker that has simple xover and sounds and mesaures good. It can be simple (bsc incorporated in series woofer inductor etc.) but then mids sound pretty awful. Making two way xover for flat frequency response and good reverse null inevitably leads to complicated (large) xovers. Not a problem with floorstanding loudspeakers but with bookshelf it can be. Orientation of coils is important and if you have 18/12 od 18/24 electrical and only one notch filter, you get 4-5 coils and it becomes pain in the neck to orientate them properly. Passive xover with added time delay complicates the xover further more adding 2 more coils to the equation. I divided tweeter and woofer xovers on separate boards to avoid coil to coil and coil to magnet interaction.

coils_9.gif

So, i don't think that delay network will crap up the sound too much (if done and implemented properly) but i do think that aditional complication of doing it properly can be problematic. You'll need separate box just for xover or use of smaller in size (cored) inductors - both of which i'd never do unless instructed by the one i am making the speakers for.

SO, do the extra ladder delay L-C components "crap-up" the sound more than:
-poor time alignment on a flat baffle?
-extra tweeter baffle edge diffraction from a stepped-baffle?
-360_degree phase shift and extra poles from LR4/LR4?
-off-axis listening from a 13-15 degree slanted baffle?
-unequal slopes and unequal phase shifts from a BW3 tweet with LR2 woof?

Last edited:
Line,

thanks for clarifying. So I guess your point of reference is the
woofer, because you could have positively delayed the woofer
with the exact SPL summation, only different phase plot.

BTW, Regarding phase calculation, I have extracted from Bagby's paper
"Finding the Relative Acoustic Offset in PCD" and the "Instructions
in PCD" on how to define the Z offset, and now it looks as if there is
a discrepancy between the two. Do I conclude correctly that the
PCD Instructions are misleading or am I misinterpreting things?
I know for sure that Z offset in PCD has to be entered with a negative
sign if you want to present the woofer voicer coil being behind
the tweeter's voice coil.

p.s. Zvu, I'm sorry if this appears as an OT. Interesting project and I don't
doubt it will sound satisfactory to you and the client of yours.

Attachments

• Find the relative acoustic offset in PCD.jpg
    Find the relative acoustic offset in PCD.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 274
  • PCD Instructions.jpg
    PCD Instructions.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 270
Few final touches and xover point ended up at~1650Hz. I wanted to see if i stressed them too much with low xover point so i measured distortion. Here are few distortion measurements - HD2 and HD3.

These are very good drivers as expected. It is very hard to find drivers of this quality in Europe for much more money, but at these prices, SB is a bargain. I just hope they don't change their company policy.

Attachments

• drugi harmonik.png
    drugi harmonik.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 295
  • treci harmonik.png
    treci harmonik.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 286
Line,

BTW, Regarding phase calculation, I have extracted from Bagby's paper
"Finding the Relative Acoustic Offset in PCD" and the "Instructions
in PCD" on how to define the Z offset, and now it looks as if there is
a discrepancy between the two. Do I conclude correctly that the
PCD Instructions are misleading or am I misinterpreting things?
I know for sure that Z offset in PCD has to be entered with a negative
sign if you want to present the woofer voicer coil being behind....
the tweeter's voice coil.

Earlier versions of PCD did use a positive offset. I think the instructions didn't get updated when PCD was changed to use negative offsets.

Does anyone have experience with using a passive component all-pass filter to delay the tweeter response on a flat baffle?? Measurements and listening tests?

Attached a paper design for crossover with an all-pass filter to delay tweeter response and reduce phase shift. Troels in-box SPL measurements.
----------y
Troels: There are several engineering ways to "overcome" the Mid-Tweet time-alignment problem:
#1. Machine a 2-height stepped baffle which physically time-aligns the tweeter to the midrange at the LR2/LR2 crossover frequency.
#2. Use an asymmetrical crossover usually consisting of 2nd order to the bass and 3rd order to the tweeter to make "proper" phase integration.
#3. Use 4th order filters to both drivers, e.g. LR4, and due to the large phase shift, the lack of alignment is negligible - although I really feel it isn't.
#4. Tilt the front panel so that with a listening height somewhere between the bass and tweeter we more or less compensate for the time difference.
#5. Place the tweeter below the midbass. Having the midbass at ear height, the tweeter will - to some extent - be better aligned with the midbass driver.
#6. Use an all-pass filter to delay tweeter response.
#7. Ignore the problem and implement a simple 2nd order filter which produces a decent linear frequency response.

- What if the tweeter is replaced with Sb26stc-c000-4 ?
- Can anyone help me design make crossover ?

I made some measurements and derived the .frd and .zma files for this particular drivers. I've been playing for a while with different types of xovers. Files are attached so anyone who wishes can play with it in PCD by Jeff Bagby, WinPCD or Boxsim and see if the drivers suits him.

If anyone shows interest for it, i can upload the files from Holm-Impulse if you want to change the gate and derive your own files.

The mic is on tweeter axis, about 1.2m distance.

cheers

Friend, I would very much like to build this crossover, but I have no competence to do it through a diagram. I would need to know the wire gauge, inner diameter "core", how many wires per layer. Please, I would be grateful.

Hi guys,

I'm not home at the moment and probably will not be at least a month. I really can't do anything for at least that much time.

I'll have to check those measurements and files. I really don't remember much about this crossover and measurements.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.