Acoustic horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Stereolab is out of business for more than a year -- the widow of the founder decided not to continue the company. There is rumour about a possible sale. I am happy with my 25cm minis and surely will keep my fingers crossed...

There are several gifted woodworkers on eBay, and the newer line of Jabo's (square front) are still available if i'm not mistaken.

Ralph

Stereolab is out of business for more than a year -- the widow of the founder decided not to continue the company. There is rumour about a possible sale............

Stereo Lab's site has recently (within the last month or two) been changed to come up with this message:

Das Team von Stereo Lab freut sich, Sie bald im neuen Webshop begrüssen zu dürfen

Perhaps a new owner is busy setting up a new web shop?

How about the classic Don Keele Constant Directivity horns (EV HR series)?

Not sure what space you have, the White Whale 90 deg is 1m / 60deg is 82cm wide and the smaller White Dolphin is 90 deg is 61cm / 60 deg is 55cm wide.

Or the later HP640 if you like a medium size flat-front.
All of these five horns reach much lower than 1000Hz.

I can also recommend the 39cm wide 1.4/1.5" versions of this one
Selenium HM3950-SLF 2" Bi-Radial Horn 60x30 4-Bolt

Ralph

Not sure what space you have, the White Whale 90 deg is 1m / 60deg is 82cm wide and the smaller White Dolphin is 90 deg is 61cm / 60 deg is 55cm wide.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

The Keele horns are unfortunately too big. I will look into the Selenium horn.

Thanks.

I'm assuming this horn is for your Radian 950pb, which you have been using on 400 Hz tractrix horns (based on earlier posts).

Is this something you have taken into consideration? Ideally, the horn should have a throat that matches the driver's exit angle, which is apparently 10.3°(20.6° side to side) for the 950pb:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/177175-radian-950-pb-exit-angle-10-3-20-6-a.html

Do you currently have a mismatch - does your 400Hz horn throat have a narrower angle than the driver's exit angle? If so, that's a solid reason in favour of picking a smaller horn, with a higher LF cutoff.

Possibly this one? Someone recommended the 300Hz Iwata in a different thread, but the 600Hz version may be a better match to your driver & needs. It also looks good (IMO) and is well within your 16" size limit.

AutoTech Iwata-600 - Autotech Horns DIY Sound Group

EDIT: I realised that has a 1" throat. No good.

Martin, the Azura horn guy, says he can modify his horns to accept different driver sizes. You could ask him whether he would make a an AH-425 to suit your driver.

http://www.azurahorn.com/azurahorn_horns.html

Another option is to get a simple "short throw" ABS plastic biradial horn with a 2" throat to get the mouth size & wide dispersion you want, and then modify (grind / extend) the throat to be a perfect match to your driver. Cheap ABS plastic is good for this - being uniform rather than a laminate (like fiberglass), you can grind it down without making a terrible mess.

Last edited:

Ralph

The EV HP-series horns with diffraction slots are not appropriate for HIFI application in my experience and opinion. I own the HP640, HP940 and the HR9040A (white whale) and the HP horns have a very distinct 'PA' quality to them. The white whale has no diffraction slot and sounds okay, but I much prefer my 250hz Stereo Lab Tractrix horns. More natural sounding and much more detailed.
The 'downside' to the tractrix for some people is of course the narrow dispersion/small sweetspot, but this is exactly where I am when listening to music so it's not a problem for me :)

Best Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.