Any high quality active DSP speaker designs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are there any high quality active DSP speaker designs around? I would like to study off a high quality active DSP design. I'm being exposed to more and more conventional design principles that are optimal for passive speakers, but are not optimal for active speakers. I'd like to learn more from studying a high quality active DSP design.

Thanks

These guys have one of the best active DSP speakers on the planet:

Home | GrimmAudio

Controlled dispersion, limited cabinet edges diffraction, state of the art electronics, amplifiers and drivers lead to unique combination on the market. Latest additions - beryllium tweeters, current-mode class-D amplification and servo-controlled subwoofers are just the cherry on the cake.

Last edited:
Though basically written to impress the dummies, their paper is interesting:

http://www.grimmaudio.com/site/assets/files/1088/speakers.pdf

But i lament their way of dramatically overemphasize issues other designers seem to overlook.

No i don't think they are not so good, nor the others so bad, it's basically a marketing paper directed to audiophiles with some reading (between the lines...) skills and interest in technology! :D

Though basically written to impress the dummies, their paper is interesting:

http://www.grimmaudio.com/site/assets/files/1088/speakers.pdf

But i lament their way of dramatically overemphasize issues other designers seem to overlook.

No i don't think they are not so good, nor the others so bad, it's basically a marketing paper directed to audiophiles with some reading (between the lines...) skills and interest in technology! :D

I saw many more misleading marketing technobabbles adressed to naive but technology oriented audiophiles in order to promote mediocre designed products. On the other hand, LS1 conception is very complete from right of beginning from digital domain, through analogue processing to the acoustical final touches. This is pro-gear so this is very straighforward mission of it - provide sound feeling that is most true to the source. What is wrong with flat speakers with rounded edges in your opinion? My initial listening tests in real listening room only confirm sensational sound quality from Seas drivers powered with UCD400 amplifiers and DLCP. This is similiar stuff as inside of this speakers. They are very self confident to reveal its technical details to the public to only confirm their statements, like no other manufacturers who tends to obscure "cosmic technology" hidden in worse products.

Last edited:
I saw many more misleading marketing technobabbles adressed to naive but technology oriented audiophiles in order to promote mediocre designed products. On the other hand, LS1 conception is very complete from right of beginning from digital domain, through analogue processing to the acoustical final touches. This is pro-gear so this is very straighforward mission of it - provide sound feeling that is most true to the source. What is wrong with flat speakers with rounded edges in your opinion? My initial listening tests in real listening room only confirm sensational sound quality from Seas drivers powered with UCD400 amplifiers and DLCP. This is similiar stuff as inside of this speakers. They are very self confident to reveal its technical details to the public to only confirm their statements, like no other manufacturers who tends to obscure "cosmic technology" hidden in worse products.

Thanks, wonderfull,+10!:D

Latest stroke from Bruno Putzeys (co-founder of Grimm) is the Kii Three. DSP-controlled active design (and linear phase, like the LS1) with all the bells and whistles it has to offer. Even the amplifiers are designed to give specific output impedances for each driver to get the best out of them (something currently discussed in another thread these days). Not many active designers are aware of that additional degree of freedom active has to offer.

I am honest with myself! :D

I am kidding, people only show interest for the very best, even when they confess themselves as absolute beginners...I find this kind of ridiculous, sorry...As if kids were taught to read with texts of Kant or Nietzsche. Why not Mein Kampf!:D

People claim they want to learn, but at the same time have sophisticated concerns, taste and maners that make them despise the basics. Too bad!

Last edited:
Haven't checked Grimm for a while, so they are now doing this in the LS1 now? While I see the servo-control I can't seem to find a statement about current-drive, got a link?

Here you are:

LS1s-dmf | GrimmAudio

I believe that current drive is present not only in their servo sub but in woofers and tweeters channels as well. What is prominent it can bring most benefits in bass channels, though. Bruno himself encouraged to mod NCore to the current source so it might not be as sophisticated as NCore amplifier itself.

Reading of LS1s dmf subwoofer I remember that I have considered the same 4-layer coil Seas driver next to Peerless XLS 10" but I had thrown it away due to the higher cost. See, I bought them four. It has metal membrane good for accelerometer mounting and slightly better overal performance than Peerless, in this kind of implementation.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I was actually hoping to see a DIY active DSP design. The commercial speakers are fantastic. I'm particularly intrigued by the Kii Audio Three and Beolab 90 (which I'll be auditioning soon). However, we cannot hope to achieve the same thing in DIY, nor will we get to learn the details of their design decisions like we would if it is a DIY project.

DIY, active and DSP... my project would fit:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/242171-making-two-towers-25-driver-full-range-line-array.html
Though it is without any crossovers and even though many speakers were used it isn't a multi way. Still, it's active and a lot of processing experiments in there...

There are a lot more fun projects on here that fit the bill too. How far do you want to go? To me, something like the Kii still seems quite reasonable as a goal, the Beolab however is quite out there. I love it! Sadly I didn't get to hear it yet. Maybe some day.

I believe that current drive is present not only in their servo sub but in woofers and tweeters channels as well. What is prominent it can bring most benefits in bass channels, though. Bruno himself encouraged to mod NCore to the current source so it might not be as sophisticated as NCore amplifier itself.
Thanks.
Current drive for servo subwoofer duty is a known concept, older Backes&Müller products used it, also for mids and tweeters (now they reverted back to voltage amps, to my knowledge).
I don't think current drive is used on the LS1be drivers, but I might be wrong. In the Kii Three, the midrange is current driven, according to info Bruno posted in german forum.
btw, years ago I discussed with Bruno what to consider when using UCD modules with an external loop to implement current drive, and it is quite tricky when you want to have high output-Z at high frequencies because of the low bandwith, but al low/medium frequencies it is relatively easy to implement... at least with single-ended output (bridged outputs less so).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.