Internal wiring?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If i were you, id buy the most expensive silver speaker wire i could get my hands on, strip the isolation, have it gold plated and then re-isolate the whole thing with silk. Preserve the silk with plenty of snake oil.

All this could be done for the quite reasonable sum of 15,000USD , and is guarateed to improve the upper-midrange of the sub.

Bill and Cal....youre cracking me up :D

Magura:)

Ok, lets be nice ;)

Is the original wireing damaged?

If no...leave it as it is, there is little or none to be gained by "tuning" wire in an amp.

If yes, replace the bad wires with teflon insulated wire.

The teflon is not for the sake of the sound, but because it can stand a meeting with a hot soldering iron, and in a box there is usually little space for a hot iron.

Magura:)

Mayday,

Having tried to modify speakers in hopes to improve their sound, my advice is DON'T DO IT!

Even though the wire may look less glamorous than external speaker cable, it is part of the WHOLE equation that gives the final sound.

I shan't even go into box stiffening, mass loading, dampening material 'upgrade', etc.

This holds very true for sub $2k british loudspeakers (they believe in wires but not how the hifi cable sellers would have us believe) as they are good examples of how the cheapest parts can come together and make music, not just reproduce sound.

I'm not saying your speakers are like the cheapies I played with but i'm very sure the same holds true for them.

The next time I design a speaker I think I will do it with a slightly too low Qts. Then I will add a series resistance in the form of a really thin 10 m cable to the amplifier. This will raise the Qts to its right value.

Wouldn't this be annoying to the cable freaks? :D

fishball79 said:
Mayday,

Having tried to modify speakers in hopes to improve their sound, my advice is DON'T DO IT!

Even though the wire may look less glamorous than external speaker cable, it is part of the WHOLE equation that gives the final sound.

I shan't even go into box stiffening, mass loading, dampening material 'upgrade', etc.

This holds very true for sub $2k british loudspeakers (they believe in wires but not how the hifi cable sellers would have us believe) as they are good examples of how the cheapest parts can come together and make music, not just reproduce sound.

I'm not saying your speakers are like the cheapies I played with but i'm very sure the same holds true for them.

The Reference 105,4 sold for about 1800$ back in -85, so I wouldn't call em cheap.
Just thought I could benefit from changing to modern cabels and capasitors.

And honestly, for the ones bashing my question, I'm sure you were new at this at one point in time aswell, right?

I usually try to stay away from these threads _grin_

Mayday said:
And honestly, for the ones bashing my question, I'm sure you were new at this at one point in time aswell, right?

Well, the naysayers are more concerned with saying "nay" than they are with good manners.

Mayday, don't take it personally, the internet is filled with those who have a good time ridiculing others and beliefs other than their own.

This subject is the audio equivalent of politics, religion and football all rolled into one.

As to your original question -

Speaker cabling is very system dependent - one thing you could do as far as internal cabling is concerned is go from the crossover to the amp with a single run - taking the connectors out of the path - leaving a single run of speaker wire soldered to the crossover/driver -

then if you need to move the speakers or disconnect, you simply disconnect from the amp.

If you wish to go to a place where you can discuss cabling without being bashed, you might wish to go to

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/cables/bbs.html

There is little in the way of "scientific" data to support those with an interest in cabling.

I have a greater interest in sound and what I hear than a need to "prove" it, or for that matter to bash those who do not believe as I do.

It has however, been my experience through listening that there are audible differences in a number of cabling situations.

You are correct in your approach, in that only with attention to detail and the pursuit of the best approach will you get closer to obtaining better sound.

Regards

Ken L

PS

You will get far more benefit from particular attention to interconnects than other parts of cabling

In some of the Older Kef's (C95?) They used 25volt caps... thats a disappoinment....

You might consider 250v np (or at least 100v non-polar types) rated Solen replacements of similar capacitance. For a lesser budget, Daytons are not too bad either.

Old electrolytics are often best replaced after 15-20 years or so for optimal performance.

I agree with the others, the wiring should be left as-is....

Hope this helps.

;)

Mayday said:

We weren't bashing your question. We were just aware of the inevitable chain of events that were destined to follow; some saying change it to this, others saying change it to that and still others saying to leave it alone. You were looking for an answer but all you will get is an opinion.

markp said:
Kef built its speakers taking everything used into account. The wires are part of the sound.

The wire currently inside your speakers has no unique properties.

Old electrolytics are often best replaced after 15-20 years or so for optimal performance.

I agree with the others, the wiring should be left as-is....

Mayday, in speakers that were worse than yours, but also old like yours, I have found NP electrolitics caps. Tried to replace with better parts but the old cap still sounded better.

Usually I found that cables degrade due to oxidation. Resoldering, or cutting the end of the cable then resolder, may restore the performance. As long as the connection is not worse than before.

If you really like your speaker, it is a good idea to give a silver wire a try. IMO, the chance for better sound is very big. Don't trust your ears, trust mine :D If you cannot hear the difference, it doesn't mean there isn't improvement to the sound quality. Sound is heard by brain or by soul, not by ears.

I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that the "here we go again" comment was a veiled hint to do a search for past disussion on this topic.

BTW, I have KEF 104.2. Since ~'84. Love 'em dearly :nod:. I thought about rebuilding the crossover with better parts, primarily just as something to do. I was warned against it because of the difficulty dealing with the cabinet.

If I were you and intent on doing something, I think I would do more than just change internal wiring.

mlloyd1

Mayday said:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.