Tannoy GRF in Walnut

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My 10th pair of GRF's...this one in American Walnut, on Euro Birch ply. Extra bracing.

Denim/wool lining.

Plinths 50mm.

Monitor Gold's 15's, with standard xovers.

Sounding fantastic.

Attachments

• felt inside.jpg
    felt inside.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 319
  • bottom on.jpg
    bottom on.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 316
  • glue up side.jpg
    glue up side.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 311
  • top glue.jpg
    top glue.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 306
  • glue up braces.jpg
    glue up braces.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 304
  • trim getting started.jpg
    trim getting started.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 164
  • final polished.jpg
    final polished.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 189
  • final in room.jpg
    final in room.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 217
Are measured plans for the Westminster available? That'd be a challenge

Just did some minor refinishing on a 1988 era pair of these. Quite a luscious sound with the right upstream gear - in this instance a QUAD QII integrated - a nice little piece as well.

Yes.. Westy plans are available.. Google Is your friend.
In truth tho I'm surprised by someone building 10? grf's.
Once was more than enough for me :eek:
Odd one note bass overpowering the mids.. Not good (bad even) by most yardsticks.
A fairly common observation/result as well.
Mine soon became firewood.
Genuine shame as it involved a lot of work and worse; dashed hopes.
This one reads as promising... I'm considering trying it .. one day ?
truefi: The TrueFi Tannoy Enclosure –*The Manufacture

This one reads as promising... I'm considering trying it .. one day ?
truefi: The TrueFi Tannoy Enclosure –*The Manufacture

Frankly that cab makes very little sense to me.

The acknowledged problem with the GRF is that it throws the frequency response out of kilter by horn-loading the bass but doing nothing for the mids.
Hence the Westminster and Autograph are generally accepted as the better solution as they load the mids requiring just the treble to be padded down a little bit less (compared to a simple vented cab).
If you do nothing to the GRF crossover you end up with the smiley-face eq curve which is quite popular.

This one loads the mids but does even less than a ported box to load the bass. I expect the result to be virtually unlistenable without some major reworking of the crossover. That would require padding the mids back down to the level of the unsupported woofer to get a balanced FR.

Generally OB and Tannoy are not a good combination.
OBs want a high Qts woofer to minimise the need for electronic eq while Tannoys though are very low Qts drivers requiring radically different solutions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.