New Celestion "AxiPeriodic Driver"

I agree. I think what we're seeing here is that the software is getting to the point where JBL and Celestion can extend the bandwidth of compression drivers without resorting to the use of beryllium. If you take apart a bunch of compression drivers, you'll notice that things haven't changed a whole lot in the last 20 years. But ring radiators have made real progress in the last decade. Also interesting to see the industry converge on rings. We now see JBL, BMS, Celestion, Tymphany, Scan Speak, SB Acoustics, and Eminence selling them.

Reactions: 1 user
Another modern take on the WE-555:

spreng.png

Some features:
Lightweight under-hang 2” Aluminium ribbon voice coil (ccaw) on paper former (available with 8 ohm and 16 ohm resistance)
Extremely ridged high modulus carbon diaphragm with glass fiber suspension for optimal behavior over a wide frequency range. (Carbon diaphragm is lighter and stiffer compared to aluminum or titanium diaphragm).

Frequency Range:
50 Hz to 5 kHz ± 3db

Recommended Crossover:
80 Hz or higher, 12 dB/octave minimum

And some plots:
1. Frequency response coupled to a 25.4 mm (1 in) diameter terminated plane wave tube (PWT)
2. LAMAR M1-8 (Blue Line) vs. WE 555 REPLICA (Black Line)
Measurement with 1W input on rated impedance @ 1m distance on axis coupled to a WE15A horn.

Attachments

• Frequency response of Model M1-8 Driver coupled to a 25.4 mm (1 in) diameter terminated plane wa.jpg
    Frequency response of Model M1-8 Driver coupled to a 25.4 mm (1 in) diameter terminated plane wa.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 921
  • Graph-Measurement-on-WE15A-Horn_LAMAR AUDIO M1-8 (Blue Line) WE 555 REPLICA (Black Line) Measure.jpg
    Graph-Measurement-on-WE15A-Horn_LAMAR AUDIO M1-8 (Blue Line) WE 555 REPLICA (Black Line) Measure.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 923
Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Looks like they gave Lean Business the run-around. I asked in July for an eta. Celestion told them sometime before the end of the year...now it's off the site. No commercial implementation that I know of. Hope it becomes available someday.

Thanks for the info it looks like a good alternative to the BMS 4592. I wonder who is using all the supply up? or perhaps production problems?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Its a very, very expensive driver.... approx £1,000 each is what I was told from a sub contractor who works in commercial cinema and custom install. He said they were used in a Dolby vision installation in North America.... I have no more info but I will keep asking around!

ah somewhat off the suggested price here:
Celestion Axi2050 - Speakerplans.com Forums

£1000 makes more sense though as its huge and has more complex machining than a typical compression driver.

I've seen the Axi2050 offered at around 350GBP, OEM only though.

The guys of ETF had a pair at their disposal. According to one of them they eventually preferred another driver for the LeCleac'h Iwata 200 horn. That driver was the LAMAR M1, if I remember correctly.

Last edited: