Cyburgs-Needle and Cyburgs-Pipe for FRS 8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I want to show you a speaker project of mine, called the Cyburgs-Needle. It is designed to be a nice newbie project, it is very easy to build and also quite cheap. But it is also nice as second loudspeaker pair in the bedroom or wherever. It uses a single Visaton FRS 8, the costs for one pair should be under 30 Euro.
Although the maximum sound pressure with an 8 cm driver is naturally somewhat limited, there is no compromise in the performance, they sound really neutral over the whole bandwith. In a typical room application 50 Hz and lower is no problem. You'll be amazed :)
If you have any questions or suggestions, just send an E-Mail.

Nice greetings from Austria, Berndt

Here a picture of the final prototype before finishing.

Attachments

• cyburgsneedle-bild.jpg
    cyburgsneedle-bild.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 2,173
Oh, picture upload didn't work ...

... although I saw it in the preview. I'll try again. Also a plan will follow, but I have quite a delay with my postings, because I am still supervised ;-)

Many greetings, berndt

Attachments

• cyburgsneedle-bild.jpg
    cyburgsneedle-bild.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,856
Way to go! I wanted to do the simmilar project with exact drivers.I Ended up modeling a ml tqwt with a monacor fullrange but I'm still wondering how would sound a straight pipe with this visatons.I acaully have 2 of them in D'Appolito serving as midrange in my 3 way floorstanders (I bought them from another DIYer).Looking forward to see the plans.Do they have enough treble?

Sorry for the double posting of the picture ...

... but yesterday it was not there, really!
Here is the plan for this baby. It is really simple, and I managed to build one pair at one single rainy evening ;-)

Have fun, Berndt

@ Tomac: The trick with the treble of the FRS 8 is that you have to face the box directly to the listening position, because the FRS 8 (like all fullrange drivers) has quite a narrow sweet spot. However, the sweet spot is broader than that of other larger fullrangers I know, so that this is not really a problem. The height of the Cyburgs-Needle is about 90 cm, so that the horizontal alignment fits nicely to a typical sofa listening position. In my personal opinion the treble of the FRS 8 is quite neutral, not screaming, but also not dull. Its a really nice driver in my opinion. What Monacor driver did you use?

Attachments

• cyburgspipe-eng.jpg
    cyburgspipe-eng.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2,302
Cyburgs-Pipe

The second construction I'd like to introduce is a bookshelf type loudspeaker for the FRS 8. It is also a TQWP construction, but folded in four sections to get a rectangular frontside. It is a near relative to the Cyburgs-Needle, in fact it is the older brother :) I posted this plan some time ago in a german forum and as far as I know, there are already three pairs built by some forum members. The prototype has been built by a friend of mine after my initial plan, and I always enjoy listening to them when I visit her. They are suitable for wall mounting and also for placing it on a bookshelf. But as for all fullrange speakers, it is necessary to point them to the listening position as far as possible.

So have fun also with this plan, Berndt

Attached to the file is a (again lousy) picture, but I will post better ones, when I have them. The cut boards are already in my workshop, hehe.

Attachments

• cyburgspipe_bild.jpg
    cyburgspipe_bild.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,996
Hi Berndt!
I used sph-60x,there is thread about it started two days ago entitled "my first ml tqwt".
Your plans don't display.Check it again.Maybe the problem is same as it was with the picture.I like the look of your towers.I didn't know one could get 50Hz bass from this drivers because their Fs is 130Hz.Although I don't see the plans I guess this is a straight ML TL.Again,congratulations!
What do you think how would frs8 sound if used to play only highrange from 6-20 kHz? I'm in search for a cheap tweeter to maybe put with my monacors.Just to gain a little bit more treble.Something as cheap as they are ,round 20 euro/piece,I don't want to pay high price for the tweeter I'm not even sure I really need.
Cheers
Tomac

Hi Tomac,

it was the same problem yesterday, that's why I posted the picture a second time. When I looked in the morning, both pictures where in. So I hope that also the plans will appear soon. As I am new in this forum, all my postings are delayed, because there is a kind of supervision for the first postings. I think that there are technical issues with this supervision that make the attached pictures appear later than the posting. Let's see. If this doesn't work, I'll send the plan by Email.

Although the Monacor SP-60X is quite often used in Germany and Austria, I haven't listened to them by now. I've done experiments with the smaller brother, the SP-50X, which is from sound quality not comparable with the 60X, which is said to be a really nice driver. Did you use a notch filter? The german diy magazine Klang und Ton once presented a small BR with the 60X (cheap trick CT-193), where a notch filter has been used, and as far as I heard, the result was really fine.

I would not recommend the FRS-8 as tweeter, mainly because the SPL is far lower than the Monacor. And a tweeter is a better tweeter than a fullrange driver :)

Many greetings, Berndt

Hi Fingust,

the radius of the holes (I suppose that you mean the holes where the driver is screwed in) is 3,6 cm. The position of the holes you find in the plans.

The horizontal position of the hole in the needle is in the middle of the baffle.

I hope that this helps, nice greetings, Berndt

Hello !

I would make voigt pipes with visaton frs 8 drivers (straight pipes) the ones that are 1.5 high, but Ihave problems with finding plans on the internet... Almost every plan I found is ment for fostex drivers.
So if any of you have plans for straight pipes could you please e-mail them to me or post them here ?

Thanks, Fingust

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.