Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Small Syns
Small Syns
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2019, 01:51 AM   #451
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

Small Syns
They are the centers of the drilling locations. The size of the ports isn't critical, by the way, wavelengths where they are used are long. Just don't go out to beyond where the driver gaskets will be. And for best vertical pattern, I wouldn't let the height get any taller than in the drawing, want the centers as close as reasonable to the center of the waveguide. Too narrow height might possibly restrict air flow (though not likely).

That drawing is for 0.5' plywood side panels for minimum size and weight Be careful to make sure the back is well braced, maybe more than shown in the plans. My original ones were actually done with 3/4" ply, and seem quite dead, though.
Old 2nd February 2020, 11:37 PM   #452
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
aaand.... as I'm waiting for glue to dry on the new cabinets, I browse over to the TechTalk site and find that the tweeter I'm using is apparently being discontinued! The vendor has it on Clearance (Peerless by Tymphany DFM-2535R00-08 1" Compression Horn Driver 2/4-Bolt 8 Ohm).

Way to kill a design, there, Tymphany. Guess I won't need to do a full build guide on this after all.

Looks like QSC has jumped on the bandwagon:

Click the image to open in full size.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time that QSC has used a compression driver that wasn't made by Celestion or B&C.
Old 3rd February 2020, 10:20 PM   #453
grec is offline grec  United States
diyAudio Member

bwaslo; I've recently added some BMR "ambience drivers" radiating some energy up the wall and to the sides, fed by a delayed signal of about 15msec, which helps depth illusion significantly and livens up the room sound in the rather damped room.

Hello Bill.
What will happen if we add the "ambience drivers with additional xover" just before the speaker on the same amplifier channel? Will it just change the whole speaker impedance or it will affect whole Small Syns crossover?

Last edited by grec; 3rd February 2020 at 10:22 PM.
Old 3rd February 2020, 11:03 PM   #454
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

Small Syns
It would change the speaker impedance at least in the range where the BMRs absorb current, but that shouldn't be much of a problem with most amplifiers. The effect doesn't seem to be as beneficial without the delay though.
Old 4th February 2020, 12:18 AM   #455
grec is offline grec  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
It would change the speaker impedance at least in the range where the BMRs absorb current, but that shouldn't be much of a problem with most amplifiers. The effect doesn't seem to be as beneficial without the delay though.
Thank's again!
Old 2nd March 2020, 07:33 PM   #456
bourbon-neat is offline bourbon-neat  United States
diyAudio Member

Small Syns
Default SmallSyns almost done

My SmallSyns are up and running. They sound good. Will post frequency response in a few days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SmallSyns-1.jpg (647.5 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg SmallSyns-2.jpg (538.6 KB, 141 views)
Old 2nd March 2020, 07:42 PM   #457
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks great!
Old 3rd March 2020, 08:34 PM   #458
grahamgraham is offline grahamgraham  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbon-neat View Post
My SmallSyns are up and running. They sound good. Will post frequency response in a few days.
Nice! Looking forward to your measurements!

Small SynsHide this!Advertise here!