Small Syns

I’m planning do do the shallow ported version of this build in the next few months.... provided I can source the waveguide... I’m already in the middle of another build using active xovers based on Patrick batemans synergized waveguides. I plan to keep playing around with those but am looking for something that I can just follow a plan that uses passive crossovers (for system integration simplicity). Are there any other synergy projects that are as “copyable” as Bill’s that anybody can think of, that I should look at?

Here's the 10" x 14" x 5.5" QSC waveguide from the Econowave:

fetch

Here's the 7.9" x 15.6" x 4.9" SEOS 15 from the Small Syns:

OLD_HORNS.jpg

I'm fairly sure that the latter might work decently with Bill's crossover.

Probably won't be a 100% match, but it's quite close. You might need to redesign the baffle due to the additional height. But otherwise, their dimensions are really similar.

Attachments

• 2021-02-03 21_17_49-SEOS-15 – Horns by Auto-Tech.png
    2021-02-03 21_17_49-SEOS-15 – Horns by Auto-Tech.png
    636.2 KB · Views: 425
  • 2021-02-03 21_18_51-QSC PL-000446GP Replacement Waveguide Horn for HPR152i 2-Bolt.png
    2021-02-03 21_18_51-QSC PL-000446GP Replacement Waveguide Horn for HPR152i 2-Bolt.png
    763.1 KB · Views: 398
It just hit me - you live right in my neck of the woods.

Would you be interested in Bill's Cosynes? I'm the third owner, I bought them off a forum member in the Bay Area, and trucked them all the way down to San Diego.

Pics:

FS: DIY Synergy horn speakers "CoSyne"

Cosyne (Synergy) Horns for sale - built by the great Bill Waslo

I had the Cosynes in my living room for a few weeks, but my wife and kids weren't too keen on having such a large speaker dominating the room. Basically the same reason I sold my Gedlee Summas back in 2015.

Here's them in my house:

yGUQ9jz.jpg

Great speakers, I just don't really know where to put them. I have a wife and two kids and it's not easy to convince them to have giant speakers.

Last edited:
It's funny, I'm always winding up with the big speakers:

I heard the Summas at RMAF in 2005, and after trying to DIY it for three years, I reached out to Earl to get a set of the smaller speakers, the Abbeys. He had a long wait list, and I was impatient, so I bought the big ones - the Summas - because they were already finished and ready to ship.

Then I did a bunch of Unity projects on my own. When Bill was working on his really big set of Unity horns (I forget the name. The ones after the Small Syns) I tried to buy the Small Syns, but they were already gone.

So that's how I ended up buying the Cosynes.

They *barely* fit in the SUV:

Attachments

• DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    310 KB · Views: 257
...When Bill was working on his really big set of Unity horns (I forget the name. The ones after the Small Syns) I tried to buy the Small Syns, but they were already gone.

I actually have the Small Syns still, they are what I listen to mostly to this day. It was the ported version of them (same drivers and horn but bigger ported box) that were given to my son in law. Small Syns were my fix for syn horns being too big and domineering for small comfy rooms. The sealed ones need subs, though, so I did a set that hide completely behind the credenza in our little living room.

I’m planning do do the shallow ported version of this build in the next few months.... provided I can source the waveguide...

I am working on a printable replacement waveguide right now. I've been told they are coming to the website for over two years now... It's OS to SE 125 x 406 x 213mm. I'm trying to get as close to a drop in replacement as possible without making a straight up clone. I should have full system measurements by mid to late March.

I guess this only helps if you have access to a 3d printer...

Attachments

• Capture18.PNG
    Capture18.PNG
    174.5 KB · Views: 263
I am a little bit late to the SmallSyns, but I need to make this question...

Is there an alternative to the SEOS15 waveguide? This has been out of stock for years in DIYsoundgroup!

I have one QSC HPR152i waveguide clone (I think it's the B52 clone) that I could use, I even have a couple of Faital 6FE100.

2) The mounting plates for my midranges frequently fell off. This is because the mounting plates would delaminate from the waveguide. This was a problem with the QSC in particular, there's something about the plastic they use, it's very difficult to get anything to bond to it. Eventually I gave up on trying to find a good adhesive, and I simply ran bolts all the way through the mounting plate for the midranges right through the horn walls. But that's ugly and probably causes diffraction.
Might be (way) too late, but PP and HDPE are notoriously difficult to bond with adhesives. You have to use special adhesives rated for PP/HDPE, and normally they also require that you flame-treat the surface before applying the adhesive.

It just hit me - you live right in my neck of the woods.

Would you be interested in Bill's Cosynes? I'm the third owner, I bought them off a forum member in the Bay Area, and trucked them all the way down to San Diego.

Pics:

FS: DIY Synergy horn speakers "CoSyne"

Cosyne (Synergy) Horns for sale - built by the great Bill Waslo

I had the Cosynes in my living room for a few weeks, but my wife and kids weren't too keen on having such a large speaker dominating the room. Basically the same reason I sold my Gedlee Summas back in 2015.

Here's them in my house:

yGUQ9jz.jpg

Great speakers, I just don't really know where to put them. I have a wife and two kids and it's not easy to convince them to have giant speakers.

These speakers are now for sale in the "swap meet" forum