Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Small Syns
Small Syns
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2016, 04:58 PM   #111
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

Small Syns
Possible, but everything would be different (different design) though. On the sides, ports at the same distance from the tweeter would be further out the horn from the center, because of different wall angles. Mounting would be a lot tougher to do, too, as there is less surface area to work with.

And locating mids on the side would mess up the placement of the woofers (which are using volume behind the sides of horn), and so I couldn't do the extension of directivity to lower frequencies, which is the main reason for having the midranges in the first place (in this design). A midrange isn't needed to use the full 'natural' directivity of the SEOS15 (down to about 800Hz), there are a number of tweeter drivers that can drive it that low. But a midrange is needed to blend down into the low 100's of Hz for horizontal directivity management with the woofers, and also to allow crossover to woofers at a low enough frequency to keep the vertical directivity in a single lobe.
Old 18th August 2016, 11:33 AM   #112
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
Of course there's always paper mache.
Or a product called "sKratch".

https://skratchworks.com/

I heard about the stuff just before moving from Madrid New Mexico, where the inventor of sKratch lives. No mixing required.

As far as Bondo, the Evercoat Tiger Hair or Bondo-hair products are the way to go for large fill, the chopped fiberglass in the mixture makes it super strong. It won't crack or break out under virtually any level of abuse, including hitting it with a hammer. The chopped fiberglass does make for a little roughness in the finish, an application of regular Bondo over it can sanded to a mirror smooth surface is desired.

Art

Last edited by weltersys; 18th August 2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 18th August 2016, 06:08 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

Small Syns
That sKratch stuff looks pretty neat (kind of expensive for just a few speakers, though).''

Durham's "Rock Hard Water Putty" (Durham's Rock Hard DU-1 1 lb. Water Putty-1#CAN - The Home Depot) is only a few bucks and I think would do fine, too.
Old 18th August 2016, 09:49 PM   #114
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

The water putty can be further enhanced by using a little bit of wood glue in it, which helps limit any dusting or moisture issues (not that they're to be expected simply from ambient humidity).
Old 20th August 2016, 02:37 AM   #115
diyAudio Member

Small Syns
Well, I got a chance to fire up the new (but very old) table saw and cut up some plywood for the new ported version build. I took a picture of all the pieces from the 'first cuts' on these for eventual step-by-step build plans for that build as well as the sealed versions I'm listening to now. Gonna wait till I get these new ones going first, so I can get better pictures and debug all the errors before 'publishing'.

I'm now running a Linkwitz Transform, plus some room peak taming parametric notches on the sealed SmallSyns, and I do have to wonder whether the ported versions are really worth doing. I'm rather amazed by the bass these little pairs of 6"ers can do with an LT. Being designed and tuned for use up against a wall does give maybe a 6dB advantage right out of the starting gate, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. I'm actually wondering whether the ported box will do as well, as these are giving output down to the 30s and the ported box won't be able to be pushed as low. With porting, though, that version should have the woofers in a more comfortable zone for where most of the bass usually is. But I'm still surprised by how well the combo of against-wall mounting and the LT works. Last time I used LT, I wasn't all that impressed, but different speakers and not pro types then, either.

The appearance of the new ones should suit my tastes, though. When the grilles are off, the ports on the box will look a little like half an Onken.
Small Syns-sp-box-grille-png

Going well so far (till I discover what inevitable screwups I may have made on dimensions!), but now the temp is up to 100F again. So I'll have to wait till things cool down again here before any more outdoor wood work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First Cut boards dimensions.jpg (233.7 KB, 824 views)
File Type: png SP box no grille.png (24.3 KB, 1664 views)
Old 22nd August 2016, 02:59 PM   #116
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post

Durham's "Rock Hard Water Putty" (Durham's Rock Hard DU-1 1 lb. Water Putty-1#CAN - The Home Depot) is only a few bucks and I think would do fine, too.

Well, I got a chance to fire up the new (but very old) table saw and cut up some plywood for the new ported version build. I took a picture of all the pieces from the 'first cuts' on these for eventual step-by-step build plans for that build as well as the sealed versions I'm listening to now. Gonna wait till I get these new ones going first, so I can get better pictures and debug all the errors before 'publishing'.

Going well so far (till I discover what inevitable screwups I may have made on dimensions!), but now the temp is up to 100F again. So I'll have to wait till things cool down again here before any more outdoor wood work.
Bill,

Everything looks great with your new project so far!

I found my big can of Durham's just after purchasing another. One good thing about moving is the shop is now set up and ergonomically organized, instead of 19 years of adding stuff here and there.

After purchasing a new (used) Craftsman table saw, I realize now that the Delta table saw I'd been using for the last two decades was a piece of junk.

With a movie screen reflecting 95% of the sun, and four fans focused on where I am working, 100 degrees won't keep me out of the shop, though getting used to high humidity again after two decades in the high desert took a while. Helps that there is about twice the oxygen here in DeLand as in Madrid.

Unlocking, locking, and putting a tarp over the workbench and table saw is a pain, I don't like to start working unless I have some time to do it.

Of course, when one is not gainfully employed, finding time is not too hard ;^).

Art
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I Adore My Fans.jpg (133.0 KB, 759 views)
Old 22nd August 2016, 06:35 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Small Syns
Thanks Art.

Weather was great yesterday, so I spent much of it "tuning up" my new (but ancient) contractor's table saw. I had noticed the longer boards pulling left a little when I cut the pieces the other day, so read up about it on the net. Tuns out the blade was a little out of parallel with the miter slots on the table, and I found the adjustment "procedure" online for it (an old Rockwell Model 10 with a 40" table extension). The adjustment was a simple matter of slightly loosening 4 nearly-inaccessible bolts and banging the crap out of one side of the mechanism with a hammer and block of wood until everything came parallel again, then retightening.

Of course I did all this AFTER having cut all my boards, but now if I make yet another badly-needed set of speakers I'll be all set! It cuts like a dream, now, noticeably smoother.

Maybe today after the ton of chores I promised my wife I'd do, I'll get out and start jig sawing the baffle pieces.
Old 5th September 2016, 10:22 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

Small Syns
aaand.... as I'm waiting for glue to dry on the new cabinets, I browse over to the TechTalk site and find that the tweeter I'm using is apparently being discontinued! The vendor has it on Clearance (Peerless by Tymphany DFM-2535R00-08 1" Compression Horn Driver 2/4-Bolt 8 Ohm).

Way to kill a design, there, Tymphany. Guess I won't need to do a full build guide on this after all.

Old 5th September 2016, 10:47 PM   #119
nc535 is offline nc535
diyAudio Member

its still listed as current on the Tymphany website...
Old 5th September 2016, 11:08 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

Small Syns
Where (link)? I couldn't find it, just a "DLM-2525R00", which is much different.

edit: oh, I found it. It wasn't there an hour ago, I swear! They even have a 60W version of the DFM. So, maybe it's only PE that is going to stop carrying it?

edit again: it depends on how you search, apparently. If you search with http://www.tymphany.com/pro/ and ask for 'all compression drivers', or search under 'DFM', it isn't there.

Last edited by bwaslo; 5th September 2016 at 11:17 PM.

Small SynsHide this!Advertise here!