SB Acoustics TW29BN, compared with other beryllium tweeters?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Um, how is the Focal Be the best among them? It has a miniaturized motor and ragged FR with high amounts of compression. The medium grade (among Be tweeters) ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6040-00 spanks it and it's dad.

The SB Acoustics has yet to be released, but the published, preliminary FR is among the best I've seen.

The Mundorf AMT's spank all of them...... << runs to get popcorn >> :D :D :D

Best,

Erik

Um, how is the Focal Be the best among them? It has a miniaturized motor and ragged FR with high amounts of compression. The medium grade (among Be tweeters) ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6040-00 spanks it and it's dad.

The SB Acoustics has yet to be released, but the published, preliminary FR is among the best I've seen.

The Mundorf AMT's spank all of them...... << runs to get popcorn >> :D :D :D

Best,

Erik
I agree with everything but the last paragraph.

Zaph once tested the Beryllium version of the Usher 9950/Dayton RS28. Performs identical to the aluminium dome version. His comments:
to date I've seen no real proof that any beryllium usage, either pure or heavily alloyed with other materials, is any better than aluminum or coated fabric. There's certainly a lot more to a tweeter than the chosen diaphragm material.
Could not have put it better myself.

Asking what the best beryllium dome tweeter is, is synonymous with asking what the best metal dome tweeter is.

Yes it is released: (was available when I bought my Be tweeter ~4 weeks ago but is now back order at Solen.ca)

I was 45%/45% between the SBA and the transducer labs
N28BE-G - Solen Électronique Inc.
http://solen.ca/products/speakers/home-speakers/tweeters/tw29bn/

the 10% was the cheaper scanspeak
Tweeter – Scan-Speak A/S

Christian at Solen recommended me the Tlab over the SBA.
didn't specify much why but he wrote me that the Tlab has a much better motor and would be a better choice for my intended low crossover point(1.5Khz active 48db LR).

He wasn't a fan of the Scan speak at all and recommend me to avoid this one(low efficiency, low Xmax)

I listened to the Tlab for maybe 20hours so far and I have really nothing to complain. It sound much better than my Raal 70-10 (raal was doing 2.8Khz and up)
integration with my 5" mid (SBA Satori) is just wonderful.

later

Etalon,

Also, Chris is mixing up the specs I think. SB rates the "linear travel" (0.5mm) while TLAB posts Xmax (1.5mm). They are not the same spec. The first is essentially how much travel without compression. The second is how much travel before damage. :)

It does seem to have a slightly lower resonance point though.

Best,

Erik

Hmm. Traditionally Xmech is the physical limit of travel, either by suspension / related components or belting the VC off the back-plate, the last of which usually results in a 'that's not gone well' moment.

Xmax (or 'linear travel') by contrast is an almost meaningless number added to data sheets to give a vague idea of driver linearity, but since there are at least half a dozen different ways of putting a number to it (I gave up counting at that point, having lost the will to live), they all give different numbers if applied to the same driver, and manufacturers rarely state which they used, it's at best a trifle limited. ;) Individual harmonic distortion data (preferably at several different drive levels) give you a better idea of what's happening. Not perfect, but in conjunction with FR, they're more useful than a bald number.

Completely OT, but interesting (well, I think it's interesting): a driver that rarely gets a mention is the Seas T29MF001. Magnesium dome rather than Be, and needs a bit of work in the filter if you want to cross low, but probably deserves more attention than it gets. Similar Mms to the Scan Be units, although they manage to get the bell mode up another 10KHz. This new Satori looks fantastic though. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Scott, I didn't realise Xmax meant "linear." The numbers are so far different from one another, with tweets otherwise similar, that I knew they could not be the same. :)

Actualy, I think Seas makes a Be tweeter too, don't they? It would also need a little work as it's a camel-shaped response, but I'd love to get to listen to it.

Erik

Scottmoose,

for the Seas magnesium series, I also have the 22taf
SEAS The Art Of Sound Perfection

E0047-04 T29MF001

I understand that I talking about the "prestige series" and you refer to the 1" version or the Excel.
If the "Excel series" behave the same way, they aren't very good.
On paper, I think they can compare.
I bought the little 22TAF cause the HD above 2.2Khz were very good (was crossing at 2.5K then)
Zalph has measurement on his website.

the Seas MG have a big breakup. despite being in 35-45Khz range, it produce harmonic that are quite audible. especially at higher SPL.
headache is a consequence of listening for prolonged exposure to my 22TAF.
there was also a feeling of restraint when listening, triangle and cymbal seemed to extend longer than they should, it was noticeable and once you knew it, you heard it all the time...

My other cheap tweeter (SBA29RDC and Scanspeak 2904d95000 didn't exhibit this at all)
of course, the raal 70-10 wasn't doing it either.
It's too bad that the raal and ribbon in general can't be used for low crossover...

I'm very happy with my the Tlab tweeter.
I think that the SBA would be about the same in SQ but having not bought it when it was available, I can't comment
If solen.ca would not have the 10% restocking fee, I would have bought both Tlab and the SBA and keep only the winner but ended up only buying the Tlabs.
mms of the tlab is 0.23g
mms of the sba is 0.46g...
interesting difference!

Cristian, the guy at Tlabs emailed me about my inquiry of his others tweeter.

The N26MG is closer to the N28BE due to its higher SPL level (94db) and very light moving mass.

However, the N26CS has a better sound quality compared to the N26MG.

If your trying to stay close to the N28BE, I would say the N26MG would be the best choice. However in my opinion the N26CS is a better sounding tweeter due to its very smooth while detailed sound quality.

The N26CF is a very different tweeter than the N28BE and would not be a close to the sound character of the N28BE.

1.4khz with a 48db slope is ok for these tweeters , it just depends on how loud you plan to play them.

Best regards, Cristian

Last edited:
Scottmoose,

for the Seas magnesium series, I also have the 22taf
SEAS The Art Of Sound Perfection

E0047-04 T29MF001

I understand that I talking about the "prestige series" and you refer to the 1" version or the Excel. If the "Excel series" behave the same way, they aren't very good. On paper, I think they can compare. I bought the little 22TAF cause the HD above 2.2Khz were very good (was crossing at 2.5K then)
Zalph has measurement on his website. the Seas MG have a big breakup. despite being in 35-45Khz range, it produce harmonic that are quite audible. especially at higher SPL. headache is a consequence of listening for prolonged exposure to my 22TAF. there was also a feeling of restraint when listening, triangle and cymbal seemed to extend longer than they should, it was noticeable and once you knew it, you heard it all the time...

Quite. As I recall, the little 22TAF actually has two large modes straddling the 30KHz region, on the order of about 18dB. In some measurements I've seen anyway. While I wouldn't say they take your head off (they don't) I agree that the results can be audible, especially when pushed hard. The Magnum (29MF001) unit from the Excel line is a somewhat different animal though. Magnesium diaphragm rather than an aluminium/magnesium alloy. Larger, more travel, a rather more sophisticated motor design also. It lets go at about 27KHz, but it's a single mode & smaller; I haven't found it annoying when I've listened to them.

Thanks Scott, I didn't realise Xmax meant "linear." The numbers are so far different from one another, with tweets otherwise similar, that I knew they could not be the same. :)

Actualy, I think Seas makes a Be tweeter too, don't they? It would also need a little work as it's a camel-shaped response, but I'd love to get to listen to it.

Aye, albeit with the caveats about what is meant by 'linear'. ;) I tend to view Xmax as about as useful as EBP, i.e. not very.

Yes, Seas have got one too, T29B001. I haven't heard it yet, and given the price, I don't think I will in the near future either. ;) I do like some of their kit though; their good units tend to be very good indeed. Same for SB -the Satori ring-domes are exceptional by any standard.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.