Speaker recommendation for Luxman amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm new to Luxman amp. Recently received an integrated L-220.

Don't have any idea about the speakers to complement it. I mainly listen to "80s" -- love songs, pop -- 70s, Dance and Disco sometimes and the living room into which the system will be placed is average in size.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Presscot!

We would need more information.

- How large of a speaker are you thinking of? Bookshelf? Floor standing?
- Do you plan on using a subwoofer?
- How big is your room in meters or feet, approxiamtely?
-Do you want to listen in a "throne" or do you want it to play in the background or dance to it?
- If a couch or chair, how far from the listening location?

Best,

Erik

Last edited:
Hi Presscot!

-Do you want to listen in a "throne" or do you want it to play in the background or dance to it?

Best,

Erik
- Will your significant other be complaining about how much room the speakers occupy?

- Will your significant other be complaining about how much room the speakers occupy?

I'm with the SOs though. Nothing I hate more than seeing gigantic speakers put at the end of a closet sized room.

Speaker sizes should be proportional to the room, just like a chest-of-drawers. if you want a chest 12' tall, your bedroom should be like a bedroom in the pallace of Versailles.

Best,

Erik

I'm with the SOs though. Nothing I hate more than seeing gigantic speakers put at the end of a closet sized room.

Speaker sizes should be proportional to the room, just like a chest-of-drawers. if you want a chest 12' tall, your bedroom should be like a bedroom in the pallace of Versailles.

Best,

Erik

Speakers do not have to be giants to sound good (Dynaudio,) but very few speakers sound good jammed against the wall or above ear-level <because that's where the shelves are>

Hi Presscot!

Best,

Erik

I've planned to use no subwoofers in my system, the main speaker should be mid-size bookshelf to large floor standing or its woofer diameter should be about greater than 6.5 inches but less than 12 inches in order to produce deep bass instead of subwoofers.

The room is approximately 7 x 4 sq.meter and background style is preferable because I like to move and walk around the room like this :p https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH6eAscKDNg , since it's a living room.

The couch is placed against the wall where the audio system is placed to the opposite side of the room, 7 meters far.

Last edited:
Hi Presscot,

Scanspeak 6.5" drivers in the Revelator or Illuminator range will do very nicely for you then. There are several Zaph kits and kits at Madisound that use them.

Best,

Erik

Best,

Erik

Is there any complete commercial speaker that suit to me ? The diy kit is good but I confess that I don't to spend time to make them, as before. They need some time to test and tune up. So I'll look for a ready-to-use speakers.

Is there any complete commercial speaker that suit to me ? The diy kit is good but I confess that I don't to spend time to make them, as before. They need some time to test and tune up. So I'll look for a ready-to-use speakers.

What's your budget?

Also, the esteemed Mr. Taylor will put any of those kits together. :) He's got a good ear and is very helpful. You'll spend a 1/3rd of what you'd spend on a comparable commercial system.

Best,

Erik

What's your budget?

Also, the esteemed Mr. Taylor will put any of those kits together. :) He's got a good ear and is very helpful. You'll spend a 1/3rd of what you'd spend on a comparable commercial system.

Best,

Erik

700USD budget including shipping (if needed),

I'm surprised when you said that diy speaker will cost 1/3rd of commercial speaker. I usually see the diy speaker use higher grade on each component than the commercial do, so it may cost more, IMHO.

Last edited:
700USD budget including shipping (if needed),

I'm surprised when you said that diy speaker will cost 1/3rd of commercial speaker. I usually see the diy speaker use higher grade on each component than the commercial do, so it may cost more, IMHO.

When you compare speakers with equivalent drivers, diy is much cheaper. in your price range i would suggest you look for used Monitor Audio Silver speakers. their 2 way bookshelf speakers are very musical sounding to me.

Best,

Erik

Hi Presscot,

Scanspeak 6.5" drivers in the Revelator or Illuminator range will do very nicely for you then. There are several kits at Madisound that use them.

Taylor speakers can built cabinets for any of those kits.

Best,

Erik

I agree, having built both the ReDiscovery towers and the Zapf ZRT 2.5 (65L)

(The Zapf speakers need a massive room-- mine are 4 feet from the back wall and everyone wants to know where the subwoofer(s) are. Their F3 is about 30Hz and the 7 inch woofers are very fast) In this case, the result is fabulous but even the DIY cost is high (US$ 1400 including 1" MDF)

That said, I got an excellent pair of Dynaudio Audience 52's on Ebay for US$450 and did not spend 40 hours on assembly. These speakers were over US$1000 retail so the DIY 1/3 rule is pretty much removed.

I also own Dynaudio Audience 72's which would also be an excellent used choice. They play below 30Hz w/o a sub. Here's a pair for under US$ 400 (they are much smaller than the picture would indicate) Dynaudio Audience 72 Pair Floor Standing Speakers 4 Ohm Sound Great Denmark | eBay

P

Hi,

Just research and buy some good used speakers.

rgds, sreten.

Yes, I'm doing this.

Yesterday, my japanese friend suggested me to the Diatone speaker. It's japanese brand. It has 8-12" large bookshelf type. Is it ok about this brand ? Will it suit to the Luxman amp ? Also my another friend suggest me the AR speaker, US speaker, will be a good choice. How about it (with Luxman) ? Any comments

Presscot,

You do realize that this site is for those who want to build their own? You really should consider asking these questions in a more general audio speaker related site where users would be really interested in engaging with you about current and used commercial speakers.

Be well,

Erik

I don't know about the matching but as my no-principle experience, I found when one (or a pair) speaker driven by amplifier A, It has sound different from driven by amp B in spite of a same driver. So I think to ask for the experiences (if any) / opinion from various people. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.