New SB Acoustics 3 way from Troels

Bassivus,
Beautiful speakers. You have excellent work working skills. The dark veneer and black baffle blend well with your room and fireplace colors. Please share your listening experience after break-in. Many readers are interested in using a slanted TM baffle for time alignment + phase coherence.

I also favor the larger Satori midwoofers, and enjoy the MW19P-4 + SB29RDC-4 tweeter on a flat baffle with BW3/BW3 crossover circuits.

Fantastic job.
I am soon to embark on the Kairos 3 way build which uses the same drivers so am keen to hear your listening impressions.
Which of the two versions people select probably comes down to location.
For me in Australia the shipping costs were much higher for the Jantzen version than the Meniscus version so that is what I selected.For people in Europe the Jantzen version might be the more economical option.

Fantastic job.
I am soon to embark on the Kairos 3 way build which uses the same drivers so am keen to hear your listening impressions.
Which of the two versions people select probably comes down to location.
For me in Australia the shipping costs were much higher for the Jantzen version than the Meniscus version so that is what I selected.For people in Europe the Jantzen version might be the more economical option.

The tweeter is not the same :)

Thank you! :)

Yes, they are very nice sounding speakers and the Satori tweeter is among the very best available.

HulgichAudio Ella MkII
HulgichAudio Ella MkII Awards

Regards

/Göran

They deserve the praise.It is so refreshing to hear a really well sorted speaker .
Very few really are.You and the Hulgich team have done a really good job on those speakers.
They were deserved winners of the best overall sound at last years Melbourne Hi Fi Show and there were plenty of other speakers there that cost many times the price.

Bassivus,
Beautiful speakers. You have excellent work working skills. The dark veneer and black baffle blend well with your room and fireplace colors. Please share your listening experience after break-in. Many readers are interested in using a slanted TM baffle for time alignment + phase coherence.

I also favor the larger Satori midwoofers, and enjoy the MW19P-4 + SB29RDC-4 tweeter on a flat baffle with BW3/BW3 crossover circuits.

Thanks! But I can not take the credit for the finish since I have had them finished by the professional. I did the redesign of Troels design in 3D and lot of prep work and gluing but had no chance to finish it at home with two kids around. Also I have no fireplace :) You probably think my room treatment panels around TV... And the veneer is walnut and not really so dark in reality

Here are some more pics of my speakers.

Brake in takes much more time than I have expected from those drivers. At the first impression I was disappointed, but after few hours of playing music, sound improved greatly. I did never expect such difference in non pro drivers... it was night and day difference.
Now I'm quite impressed with the sound but it is still improving.
The only downside of the design that I can still notice is a bit lacking of 150-300 HZ region. Of course it can be a lot of things so I'll wait a bit to see how things develop in time before I address it.
Overall I'm VERY happy with my new speakers :)

Attachments

• DSC_1806.jpg
    DSC_1806.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 996
  • DSC_1812.jpg
    DSC_1812.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 982
  • DSC_1810.jpg
    DSC_1810.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 954
  • DSC_1812(1).jpg
    DSC_1812(1).jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 962
  • IMG-385fbba724aa4c278af491eeaff2bcfa-V.jpg
    IMG-385fbba724aa4c278af491eeaff2bcfa-V.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 967
Beautiful!

Can you tell us a little more about the cabinet? What changes have you made from Troel's cabinet more than the angle of the top?

Hi!

I have retained all what had to be the same. Front baffle, angle, internal volumes and driver positions. Everything else I have changed. Upper cabinet is done in CNC slices glued together and fitted to bass cabinet which is deeper but lower, and featuring also angled wall behind the bass driver. Lower and deeper cabinet helped also moving inner bass tunnel away from driver. Here are some pictures that explain that all in detail.

Attachments

• Exp 2.jpg
    Exp 2.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 378
  • cut 4.jpg
    cut 4.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 359
  • Bas-cab-i-base-i-top-i-top-front.jpg
    Bas-cab-i-base-i-top-i-top-front.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 370
Hi!

I have retained all what had to be the same. Front baffle, angle, internal volumes and driver positions. Everything else I have changed. Upper cabinet is done in CNC slices glued together and fitted to bass cabinet which is deeper but lower, and featuring also angled wall behind the bass driver. Lower and deeper cabinet helped also moving inner bass tunnel away from driver. Here are some pictures that explain that all in detail.

Thanks for the info. Very inspiring!

Thank you! :)

Yes, they are very nice sounding speakers and the Satori tweeter is among the very best available.

HulgichAudio Ella MkII
HulgichAudio Ella MkII Awards

Regards

/Göran

Beutiful design!
And I agree, the Satori tweeter is EXCELENT!!! One of my fears before I had the chance to hear my speakers was mostly for tweeter. I was listening Focal inverted tioxide that is in my opinion rightfully considered as one of best tweeters ever... Satori sounds different but plays in the same league and perfectly partners Satori mid

Bassivus, could you share some impressions of the sound?
I'm weighing to build this speaker eventually, or one of the three way classics.

Sorry, I don't want to say anything more than I have already said (look previous posts) for now. I'll just say that SBA10 plays in absolute top class!
Don't want to rush any judgements before they are completely broken in... not to mention that I still have other variables in my system that I'm not completely familiar with (borrowed amp etc). And on top of all that yesterday I had to replace a 12b4a valve in my tube preamp since it played its last tune...
So please be patient. :)