Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Recommendation for DIY Altec A7 cabs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2016, 08:54 PM   #1
philajoe73 is offline philajoe73  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Recommendation for DIY Altec A7 cabs

Built a 2/3 scale reproduction of A7 cabinets designed for 10" drivers. Horn is a Heil AMT transformer with an extended waveguide. This project has been assembled from items I have accumulated, so not a big budget production. Nonetheless, I did pay careful attention to the plans I found online and am proud of the outcome. Problem is that the only 10" drivers I have are lower quality and designed for sealed cabinet. I have a 2 LR crossovers built for 1200Hz and 1500Hz that I have tried, but the mid-bass seems muddy and I suspect it is due to the driver not liking the vented design.

Any recommendations for a mid-bass that won't break the bank, yet provide better clarity? Amplifiers are in the 25W range.

TIA
Old 1st May 2016, 03:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default bump

any ideas?
Old 1st May 2016, 05:58 PM   #3
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

Let's try...

The genuine design was made with a the 16" Altec 416-8B if I'm correct : it has a low resonance frequency but the cabinet didn't allowed to go lower than F3 80-60 Hz, maybe a little less in some rooms. So you must choose something close in the T/S parameters. Could a 2/3 sized cabinet will match is an other story, the load should match the driver you choose !

The Heil 1 is better upon 1k6, but maybe your horn will allow to us it lower : measurement will tell you !

The game with the FLH of the cabinet and the one designed for the AMT should be a smooth transition at the XO...

As for the wood : a thicker or another wood will not give you surely a better result !

Trained designers or experienced guys with the genuine A7 will have more accurate inputs !
Old 1st May 2016, 09:12 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Altec reproduction

Thanks, Eldam. I am beginning to see the lower end limitations you mentioned. I really wasn't looking for the earth to shake with this enclosure, but I find that I am having to heavily equalize for the bottom end to compete with the Heil. I know that the efficiency mismatch is causing a lot of this and my intent was to bi-amp this setup to overcome any mid-bass limitations. My hope is that there is a 10" driver better suited for this setup.

BTW, I couldn't be happier with the add on horn. Thanks to Jeff Poth for his inspiration. The AMT has always impressed me in whatever design I hear it in. They really are easy to work with and this modification seems to make it even more versatile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2464.jpg (511.3 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2465.jpg (646.2 KB, 175 views)
Old 1st May 2016, 09:17 PM   #5
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

what's origin of that AMT WG ?
Old 1st May 2016, 09:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Heil waveguide

A variation on this: Heil AMT1 And The Heil Horn Article By Jeff Poth

His design a is a bit more complex. I was just aiming a some improvement to an otherwise awesome driver.
Old 1st May 2016, 10:06 PM   #7
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

thank you
Old 1st May 2016, 10:26 PM   #8
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

Some thoughts : you should use an active design to save money because it is hard to find the correct XO and slope : a 2 way MiniDSP may save your wallet ! And also allow to apply some EQ as making bi-amp easier !

You have also the possibility to tune the "port" with a moving piece of wood to close more or less this apperture in relation to your room !

Cabinets looks very nice

There are nice 10" Beymas or B&C drivers, Maybe JBLs are easier to find where you live ?

Last edited by Eldam; 1st May 2016 at 10:28 PM.
Old 1st May 2016, 10:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default miniDSP

I just started exploring this product and it looks very interesting. Do you have any experience with it? Curious to know if it will work well with tube amplifiers.
Old 1st May 2016, 10:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Edlam, please forgive me; thank you for the compliment! I have a tendency to focus on technical details!

Recommendation for DIY Altec A7 cabsHide this!Advertise here!