Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

2-Way Vifa P17 Tymphany Horn Tweeter "VF2"
2-Way Vifa P17 Tymphany Horn Tweeter "VF2"
2-Way Vifa P17 Tymphany Horn Tweeter "VF2" Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2016, 04:15 PM   #1
JShadzi is offline JShadzi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 2-Way Vifa P17 Tymphany Horn Tweeter "VF2"

My name is Javad and I am a speakeroholic. =)

I "needed" some new front channel HT speakers for the TV room, I had these 4 Vifa P17WJ00-08 woofers, they are actually 20+ years old, hard to believe!

I picked up these Tymphany horn loaded aluminum done tweeters as they are very efficient, 8ohms and had a nice look to them.

I have a bunch of left over maple plywood from my RS4 project so undecided to glue up a bunch of the smaller pieces and make some enclosures for these woofers. You can see some seams if you look carefully.

Ports are 2.75" from Amazon, only $12 a pair prime and look very nice.

I used a simple premade passive crossover from PE at 3kHz.

They sound nice, don't hold a candle to the PS2 I finished recently but they sound great with movies and good with music. Not a lot of bass out of these woofers, they go flat to about 80 and start dropping off from there which is fine as I'll be building a subwoofer next.

Tweeters are very lively but I wouldn't say they are bright or harsh, very crisp and detailed, not bad for $20 each.

Cabinets are 28l, port tuned to about 60hz, they sit 34" tall. Stain in Varathane Ebony, finish is Minwax semigloss poly from a rattle can.

Anyway, fun project that cost less than $100, I have a total of 15 hours into them between Friday night and Saturday afternoon.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks!
Old 21st March 2016, 06:52 PM   #2
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

DId you look at what Duntech made with those nice p17 ? swap for a first order filter around 4 k Hz with a Seas Excell tweeter (the one which match the 91 dB efficienty of the two P17 in // (88 db + 3 dB)

duntech.com , there was an old model, not the AMbasador but the same in the line just before (without the bass driver....

Xo in the low end was close, around 80/100 Hz.

a satori 92 dB tweeter could match also with a little resistor in serie...

Last edited by Eldam; 21st March 2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 26th March 2016, 05:33 PM   #3
JShadzi is offline JShadzi  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldam View Post
DId you look at what Duntech made with those nice p17 ? swap for a first order filter around 4 k Hz with a Seas Excell tweeter (the one which match the 91 dB efficienty of the two P17 in // (88 db + 3 dB)

duntech.com , there was an old model, not the AMbasador but the same in the line just before (without the bass driver....

Xo in the low end was close, around 80/100 Hz.

a satori 92 dB tweeter could match also with a little resistor in serie...

No hadn't heard of them, just had these drivers and wanted to use parts I had on hand, sounding good for HT use, I just finished a center channel as well using the same tweeter, 8" Vifa M22 woofer and Dayton 2" dome mid

2-Way Vifa P17 Tymphany Horn Tweeter "VF2"Hide this!Advertise here!