BMS 4592 vs Radian Beryllium

Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am thinking of upgrading the mids on my 3-way horn system to a Volti FC260 tractrix, but am undecided on the driver. Many phenomenal systems have been built using the BMS 4592ND-MID (around $650 each), so that is a top contender. Much of what I read, and a little of what I have physically auditioned, however swears by Beryllium... which seem significantly absent from posts....... Looking at new Beryllium, Radian drivers look amazing... except for the prices: 760NEOBePB at $850 each, or the 950BePB at $1100. True, that is a big increase, but in the long run... in for a penny in for a pound. Three years from now I will have forgotten about the extra money. So... anyone out there have insights or experience on this? I am probably willing to spend the dough, but would rather not unless truly a significant step up. I tri-amp so efficiency is not an issue, and I am satisfied with all other specs.
Thanks.
Did you end up choosing those Radian beryllium, or other drivers?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
You don't mention what you are upgrading from?

Well I've had the BMS and thought it was "bleached out" and resonant sounding, and not in a good way. I have had Radian drivers but not the Be models but have TAD 4001, 4002 and much preferred them over the BMS. The TAD's have much higher resolution and deep tone that can be very convincing. The Community M200 has the tone of the TAD but in a more natural way where the driver doesn't draw attention to itself and shout out "listen to me I am TAD" - as far as resolution goes the TAD probably has a slight edge over M200 but only where the 4002 is used without the throat adapter and in a 1.5" short horn.

The community is really only good to 3-4k so keep that in mind.
Have you ever heard a beryllium driver in a 4001 horn? Or maybe the Yamaha JA6681B?

Or? https://www.sbaudience.com/index.php/products/compression-drivers/rosso-65cdn-t/