Kairos Crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
R Hi everybody.

I have SB Acoustic Satori MW16P-4 (4ohm) and the TW29R Satori tweeters. I was using these in my car and have since removed. I am now looking to build the Kairos Kit from meniscus. however crossover will need to be changed. I am looking for assistance on new crossover for these speakers utilizing the enclosure from the Kairos. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Didn't Joachim Gerhard's similar time-aligned Satori design use the 4 ohm driver? :)

Attachments

• Joachim_Gerhard_Satori.JPG
    Joachim_Gerhard_Satori.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 2,475
Interesting. Joachim redesigned for the 8 ohm bass and called it the Kalasan 2.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/220330-sb-acoustics-satori-monitor-66.html

He also reckons it will work with Jeff Bagby's sloped box.

I don't see much alteration apart from the tweeter Fs correction and some level changes. Looks an easy project, which you could mix and match and tune by ear with either the 4 or the 8 ohm. Ideal diy territory.

Attachments

• Kalasan 2 Bass 8 ohm.PNG
    Kalasan 2 Bass 8 ohm.PNG
    6.3 KB · Views: 2,141
  • Kalasan 2 Tweeter LCR.PNG
    Kalasan 2 Tweeter LCR.PNG
    9.4 KB · Views: 2,148
I think his final version was kalasan 5?

Well, the LATEST version! :D
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/220330-sb-acoustics-satori-monitor-70.html#post3854756
Obviously a moveable feast. TBH, the SB Acoustics Satori 4 or 8 ohm 6" driver is pretty neat. Tempting people into all sorts of low-slope designs.

Gornir does the 4 ohm bass version here with a different tweeter
www.audioexcite.com Satori Two – Monitor. Last below.

Joachim gets excited about his 8 ohm Kalasan 5 bass version. Below with some midrange dip.

I think I get the idea. Obviously hard to mess up entirely. Worst comes to the worst, you could design a steeper slope.

Attachments

• Kalasan 5 Bass crossover.PNG
    Kalasan 5 Bass crossover.PNG
    28.1 KB · Views: 2,067
  • Kalasan 5 treble crossover.PNG
    Kalasan 5 treble crossover.PNG
    32.8 KB · Views: 2,046
  • Gornir AudioExcite Crossover.PNG
    Gornir AudioExcite Crossover.PNG
    93 KB · Views: 874
I never get excited. This world is too dumb for me.
Oh yes you did! Verging on hyperbole, I'd say... :D

I can already say that this speaker sounds perfect.
When you can not make the Kalasan sound amazing you have a problem with your room or your frontend.
It sounds extremely open, like an electrostatic.
There are a lot of details plus tremendoes dynamic range.
The soundstage extends on some tracks beyond the width of the speakers.
Bass is tight and slamming. It does not go into the last octave but in praxis i do not miss anything.
What is there is so clean and tight that my full attention is drawn into the music.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/220330-sb-acoustics-satori-monitor-70.html#post3854281

Did you contemplate a more complex, steeper filter, Joachim? Just interested.

I stopped at a certain point. I really like the second order allpass with inverted tweeter.
It uses only a few parts and sounds good subjectively.
It stops faster then the usual 4th order Linkwitz . The waterfall looks cleaner.
With the high bandwidth of the Satori drivers you can just about do anything.
I would try a Harsch nearly linaer phase for example.
The only problem i see is a resonance around 1khz of the woofer.
It also craetes distortion there. You can see that in Gonirs plots for example.
That comes because the designer wanted minimum damping at the surround.

Well, the LATEST version! :D
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/220330-sb-acoustics-satori-monitor-70.html#post3854756
Obviously a moveable feast. TBH, the SB Acoustics Satori 4 or 8 ohm 6" driver is pretty neat. Tempting people into all sorts of low-slope designs.

Gornir does the 4 ohm bass version here with a different tweeter
www.audioexcite.com Satori Two – Monitor. Last below.

Joachim gets excited about his 8 ohm Kalasan 5 bass version. Below with some midrange dip.

I think I get the idea. Obviously hard to mess up entirely. Worst comes to the worst, you could design a steeper slope.

But the cabinet plan are available?
Thanks.

Does anybody know in what polarity, the drivers are connected to the Kairos crossover? I guess no cross over layout is showen anywhere.

Last time I checked the Universe I inhabit, LR2 aka 12dB/octave acoustical slopes, when time aligned was a negative polarity solution.

AFAIK, that, like the Pythagoras Theory about certain right-angled triangles is written in stone until the end of the Universe. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.