BMS compression drivers & Faital compression drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently i decided to move on from vintage drivers i have been using Altec & JBL drivers for decades. I want to get higher frequency response without going 3 way and adding a tweeter.

So i am going to try some modern drivers i narrowed it down to the BMS 4552ND 1" & Faital Pro HF 146 1.4" was just wondering if any people in the forum are using these drivers and i would be interested in what people think about the sound quality.

The question is: how do you intend to use them?

I've been using the 4552 in a few different setups for about 3 years, crossed anywhere between 900-1500hz. I originally bought them because I needed a capable driver in a small package, but it's ferrite brother (4550) extends lower with lower distortion around 1khz if BMS' data is good.

I'm not any good at flowery descriptive language so I'll just say that I'm happy with them at the level I listen (about 90-95dB avg @ 10' away). They can be a bit harsh at higher spl sometimes with good recordings but tbh my room really needs some work......it's very "live".

That said if I was looking for a new 1" exit driver today I'd be looking hard at the 18sound stuff considering the cost of the 4552, or I'd grab a DE250 at around a third of the cost.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have both the BMS 4550 and the Faital Pro HF144 (what is different between 144 and 146?). Obviously the 1.4" Faital can go lower, and it's HF response is pretty smooth also. If you ask me, 1.4" exit drivers hit the sweet spot between low-end response and top-end extension. You should be happy with these drivers.

The BMS 4550 is a fantastic driver, better than its competitors (DE 250), IMO. It has a smoothness to the response and the sound that the other drivers don't have. I think it is because of the ring radiator design. Tom Danley uses the BMS 4550 in his designs. I did a one inch exit driver comparison:
1 inch CD Comparison (SEOS18) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

You are good either way, depends on what you want to do.

(I have the HF144 for sale in the swap meet if you are looking to buy :)).

I have both the BMS 4550 and the Faital Pro HF144 (what is different between 144 and 146?). Obviously the 1.4" Faital can go lower, and it's HF response is pretty smooth also. If you ask me, 1.4" exit drivers hit the sweet spot between low-end response and top-end extension. You should be happy with these drivers.

The BMS 4550 is a fantastic driver, better than its competitors (DE 250), IMO. It has a smoothness to the response and the sound that the other drivers don't have. I think it is because of the ring radiator design. Tom Danley uses the BMS 4550 in his designs. I did a one inch exit driver comparison:
1 inch CD Comparison (SEOS18) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

You are good either way, depends on what you want to do.

(I have the HF144 for sale in the swap meet if you are looking to buy :)).

I have narrowed it down to the BMS or Faital. But if i could just figure a way to add a tweeter to my Altec model 19's and make them sound right i could just stick with what i have. But it may be better to just stay 2 way and go for modern drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.