How to make a durable back panel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think most speakers' back panels are matt black, and quite hard-wearing (in case of need to transport you'd probably want to lay the speaker down this way)

What's a good way to paint the back panel to give this durable finish? Is it achievable without having to use a brush (hate brush strokes, and don't have professional spraying equipment)

Hoping to get a piano gloss black without doing the hard work, I tried an enamel spraypaint (2 coats of gloss black) after 2 coats of MDF primer. This turned out really well, except it scratches very easily. Just gently running the back of my fingernails across it will leave scratchmarks.

Aerosol spray bombs will not provide you with a durable finish. Assuming you do not have access to spray equipment, you could try a one-part polyurethane-these forumulations are harder than enamels.

The best approach would be to use a two-part catalyzed finish-spray only.. The paint is MUCH more durable, and will look great for a long time..

Good luck,

Piano gloss finish requires several coats of clear lacquer on
top to protect the flat finish and allow buffing / polishing.

As you've found out.

Take a look at your average electric guitar, very thick clear coating.

If using car paint, use leveller spray on the black layer, and
after applying the clear layers, makes a big difference.

Rollering a durable matt finish is your best bet for the back.
I believe the cheap foam rollers are much better than the
expensive wool ones for this.
Still, apply the paint in several thin layers and never overload
the roller with paint.

edit : another tip - wrap the roller with a plastic bag or
similar between layers drying, saves lots of cleaning grief.

:) sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.