A Bookshelf Multi-Way Point-Source Horn

I don't think using a 2in throat hurts directivity as that is function of horn waveguide shape. We used 1.4in because it fits the SB65WBAC25 driver well and keeps overall horn compact vs 2in.

Is a waveguide able to widen the coverage of a driver? Not a diffraction horn, but a waveguide? A 2" aperture without a waveguide will definitely narrow in the upper octave of the audio band.

Hi guys,

In what you discuss about size its also important if horn has a throat entrance that starts schrinking for thereafter it expands verse a horn throat that only starts expand at its entrance, think Weltersys kindly explained good points down the thread and will here try explain as i get out of his sharings.

Size of driver whether its a cone or compression driver will always have weaker dispersion as frq goes up say from 1kHz and up they start a certain beam scheme somewhere directly related to size of diameter, biggest diameter start beam at a lower frq than less diameter etc.

If mounted horn has a throat entrance size same as driver that only expands more and more then driver beaming scheme will end more and less same as dispersion for that size of driver mounted and measured on a flat baffle.

If mounted horn throat entrance starts schrinking relative to driver diameter size for thereafter expand, then we get a wider dispersion as frq goes up for that size of driver in comparison to same size of drivers dispersion measured on a flat baffle. It would cost some energy or headroom from driver to push through a entrance that starts schrinking but will pay back with the improved dispersion as frq goes up, and that energy or headroom was more or less natural build into SB65 in it gets very hot above 7kHz and what bushmeister utilized in use was it a modyfied XT1464 HF horn.

My 2 cents are after that big work it is to build complicated constructions as this build actual is it would in end especially because of big sweat : ) sound absolute fine and great in builders own view wheter it has improved dispersion as frq goes up or not, but bushmeisters build really showed some impressive acoustic measurements.

Last edited:
Okay, so it does matter. I'll take that into account. I'm actually thinking of some horn that is about 15" wide to match a 15" woofer. I have two 15" woofers eating dust (peerless SLS400), so I'm thinking of making a low cost 2-way synergy + woofer. To save cost I's like to use a single the Fane Sovereign Pro 8-225 to companion the SB65 in the horn. It's loud, looks clean, is high power and can pack a punch. And best of all, its' only EURO 69,-. To have some directivity a bit more down I'd like to open up the side walls a bit with some resistive material. If I like it, I'd like to replace the 15" with a Dayton RSS390HO-4. But first thing on the shopping list: finding the rare item called "time"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 20.01.43.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 20.01.43.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 889
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Okay, so it does matter. I'll take that into account. I'm actually thinking of some horn that is about 15" wide to match a 15" woofer. I have two 15" woofers eating dust (peerless SLS400), so I'm thinking of making a low cost 2-way synergy + woofer. To save cost I's like to use a single the Fane Sovereign Pro 8-225 to companion the SB65 in the horn. It's loud, looks clean, is high power and can pack a punch. And best of all, its' only EURO 69,-. To have some directivity a bit more down I'd like to open up the side walls a bit with some resistive material. If I like it, I'd like to replace the 15" with a Dayton RSS390HO-4. But first thing on the shopping list: finding the rare item called "time"

Hi 4Real,
Any progress on making your horns?
Cheers,
X

hello all!

I'm very tempted with this project. I have built a setup already i nthe past with an eminence alpha 15a with AN super 12 ferrite fullrage, active and OB, and i never experienced sound like that before...i was floored by the dynamics and depth of sound (detail).

What about using the satori mw16p as the fullrange, not necessarily as drop-in...it is similar in freq. response...maybe it would yield even lower distortion, albeit bigger and expensive?

Hi X.

Mine horn has get some big and if I read here some things, I can make it much smaller?. now the opening and depth is 42 x 52 x 48 deep. I think half can be removed.

And the circlotron is started again, with verticals, distortion with them is in class a -100dB.

regards

Attachments

• tractrix.jpg
    tractrix.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 1,184
  • ScreenHunter_1540 Oct. 19 10.54.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1540 Oct. 19 10.54.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 1,178
Hey everyone and Happy New Year!

Very great thread. The thread is so cool, in fact, i decided to replicate the design and create me a pair of these monsters.

I live in a different country and SB Acoustic drivers can not be bought here, so i decided to go with something else. I realy like the dynamics of pro drivers and use them in my car. So, i figured i could have the bost of two worlds and bought a pair of Beyma 8G40 8Ohm. These are 8" pro woofers. Since they hve a bit highes Fs and thus suffer in the low end department, i am contemplating an idea of making it a 6th order BP box to give it a bit of a boost in the 70-80Hz domain. Here is what it would look like, as modeled in WinISD:

01.07.2019-10.30.png

The rest of the lower end will be covered by a pair of subwoofers.

I also chose Peerless 2.5" 830985 as a widebander. It was the closest thing to the original SB driver used in the original design.

I plan to use it with a multichannel soundcard and will XO and FIR it actively, so no passive crossovers here. Using a smart DSP will also take care of steep x-over slopes in sub-midbss pairing.

What do you guys think with regards to drivers choice and mking it a 6th order BP?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hey everyone and Happy New Year!

Very great thread. The thread is so cool, in fact, i decided to replicate the design and create me a pair of these monsters.

I live in a different country and SB Acoustic drivers can not be bought here, so i decided to go with something else. I realy like the dynamics of pro drivers and use them in my car. So, i figured i could have the bost of two worlds and bought a pair of Beyma 8G40 8Ohm. These are 8" pro woofers. Since they hve a bit highes Fs and thus suffer in the low end department, i am contemplating an idea of making it a 6th order BP box to give it a bit of a boost in the 70-80Hz domain. Here is what it would look like, as modeled in WinISD:

01.07.2019-10.30.png

The rest of the lower end will be covered by a pair of subwoofers.

I also chose Peerless 2.5" 830985 as a widebander. It was the closest thing to the original SB driver used in the original design.

I plan to use it with a multichannel soundcard and will XO and FIR it actively, so no passive crossovers here. Using a smart DSP will also take care of steep x-over slopes in sub-midbss pairing.

What do you guys think with regards to drivers choice and mking it a 6th order BP?

Sorry for such a late reply - I don't have notifications turned on so did not see this until now. Your plan looks fine, the only thing is that you won't know how the driver behaves in a horn until you try it. I thought the FR58EX would have been perfect: stiff aluminum diaphragm, lots of rubbery damping material, strong Nd magnet - but in practice, it had a bad resonance appear under horn loading. So be prepared to experiment. That SB65 is a special driver. Whereabouts are you because Perceval, who is in Taiwan, recently found a distributor and started playing with in this thread:

WFW FAST / WAW with SBA racetrack woofers and SB65

Good luck!

X

Hi, after reading all the pages in this thread I decided to build one pair for myself too. For small PA applications or center fills, or I can imagine them even as stage monitors.
So I searched for the largest horn I could buy locally in Slovakia and bought some budget drivers. The horn is some thick ABS plastic copy of the old JBL 2" horn (I don't know which one), sawed off the long throath to reduce the physical distance between the CD and the mids and put a 1" reduction to it. The results are very good even with budget drivers, it has greater depth by the listening distance and goes down to 60Hz.
Here are some pictures:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.