A Bookshelf Multi-Way Point-Source Horn

I think I had a brain fart moment. The mumps in the k-510 are the big fill ins on the horn corners. And work in the opposite end of the frequency range. When I wrote that reply I was thinking about a horn I saw somewhere that had small little bumps on the horn wall just outside of the first opening to the driver
IMG_5845.png

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I was working on a tiny nano Trynergy with a RAAL and 3FE22's and could not get rid of a dip in response. I wonder if adding these bars across the mouth of the horn will help?
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...ractrix-raal-ribbon-point-source-horn.352836/
1705069889248.png

1705069910573.png

I kept thinking it was caused by the parallel throat walls and tried adding melamine foam in the throat with no improvement:
1705069996494.png

Backside:
1705070180254.png

Would love to get this speaker working as the RAAL 70X20xr is very nice. If I could get this to work it could cross to woofer array from my XSD SLOB dipole speaker at 470Hz easily. That would be an interesting speaker. Here is the woofer array response from XSD (red) - XSD also has 12in wide front baffle width so a perfect fit:
1705070370436.png

Last edited:
It's embarassing that B&C and SB Acoustics selling these antiquated designs. Either:

1) the people making these don't know any better

2) or these antiquated designs are still popular among buyers

But if you spend any time trying to get diffraction slots to work the way they're promised to work, you'll find that it's basically impossible. Believe me, I've tried for 10+ years

Reactions: 1 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Would the SB65 with the 3d printed adapter go well with the SB H280 Horn ?
Looks like it's got nice outsides to mount woofers to, good coverage, good extension, cheap, attainable.
Which depth of 3d printed adapter would be best, as there is 3 in the files XRK provided?

View attachment 1284714 View attachment 1284712
I haven’t tried these so it’s conjecture. They don’t look bad - but they are diffraction style horns meaning there is a vertical channel slot that opens up to the main horn body. But if you don’t mind a little DIY experiment to test out that’s fine. Don’t look at it as a recipe for a final version that will work guaranteed. I used the middle adapter but who know with this horn.

Reactions: 1 user
But if you spend any time trying to get diffraction slots to work the way they're promised to work, you'll find that it's basically impossible. Believe me, I've tried for 10+ years
From an uneducated glance, this has the same thing going on?
https://www.rcf.it/en/products/product-detail/hf950

It doesn't seem anyone is making a "large" horn for a reasonable sum of money that doesn't have a fundamental flaw.

I have been experimenting with using the XT1464/SB65 combination . I was inspired by the work done by Bushmeister and xrk971. I used xrk971’s back cover which worked quite well. I merged xrk971’s thickest adaptor (25mm) and the SB65 adaptor plate by chriss0212.

Thanks guys for uploading your work.

I had to use 2 layers of 10mm felt inside the back cover to get a clean response.

The stl files are attached.

Note: There was a null at 6K. This can be resolved by a 2mm thick felt ring glued to the adaptor. (outside the SB65 roll surround. refer pictures.)

Attachments

• Back_Cover.jpg
    Back_Cover.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Adaptor_SB65.jpg
    Adaptor_SB65.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Adaptor_Felt.jpg
    Adaptor_Felt.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 33
  • SB65-Rear-Chamber.STL
    355.6 KB · Views: 15
  • SB65- Adapter_5.1.stl
    545.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have been experimenting with using the XT1464/SB65 combination . I was inspired by the work done by Bushmeister and xrk971. I used xrk971’s back cover which worked quite well. I merged xrk971’s thickest adaptor (25mm) and the SB65 adaptor plate by chriss0212.

Thanks guys for uploading your work.

I had to use 2 layers of 10mm felt inside the back cover to get a clean response.

The stl files are attached.

Note: There was a null at 6K. This can be resolved by a 2mm thick felt ring glued to the adaptor. (outside the SB65 roll surround. refer pictures.)
Nice work! I don’t recall uploading a ready chamber for the SB65?

Nice that you were able to get rid of the 6kHz dip with the felt.