Pioneer CS-77 Speaker Mod Suggestions

The specs of the Pioneer CS-77 actually say 102 dB/W! But that's hard to believe, 94-95 dB seems to be more realistic. :)

Attachments

• Pioneer CS77-1.jpg
    Pioneer CS77-1.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Pioneer CS77-2.jpg
    Pioneer CS77-2.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 153
The specs of the Pioneer CS-77 actually say 102 dB/W! But that's hard to believe, 94-95 dB seems to be more realistic. :)

I could not agree more. Its pure fallacy that they are advertised as 102 db/W! Before I decided to modify the cabs and go a different direction, it was clear to me they were somewhat sensitive but nowhere near the listed specs. Attachment is finished transformation of Pioneer CS-77 cabs.

Attachments

• IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 95
If this your first try at making cabinets, I can’t wait to see what comes next! Would love to see FR charts for these.
Six- Minneapolis.
Thanks for the compliment! This was my 2nd. build. If I could go back in time, it would have been far easier to build cabs from scratch rather then re-purpose the Pioneer CS-77 cabs. Anyway, I attached a screenshot from REW of FR with x-overs in place. Hope that is what you were looking for.

Best,
Rich

Attachments

• travalon-fr.jpg
    travalon-fr.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 73
Like these?

CS-77SDINIUS9-18-143_zps060f08fb.jpg

CS-77SDINIUS9-16-143_zpsae74e02c.jpg

CS-77SDINIUS9-16-142_zps63ca5c9c.jpg

If you are going to change drivers you should just start from scratch.

The XO parts don't look that bad, but it is a very simplistic design. You could consider a redesign.

Looks like a nice alnico woofer.

I'd consider making a new baffle so that the drivers could be mounted in a vertical array.

Stiffen the cabinet. Stiffen the mid enclosure.

Trim off the raised edges that hold the grill (and lose the grill).

Rewire.

Ductseal the baskets.

Treat the cones (that is one of the things i do for a living so i'd take it to extremes)

If bass is MIA, you need to figure out if the bass driver has drifted or the box needs redesign. You'll have to measure the T/S parameters. Hopefully you can retune for decent bass.

dave
I have the same speakers, cs 77. I want to do that upgrade you have in the picture. Did it make a worthwhile difference? Is that just the capacitors that was changed? Can you give me the parts numbers on the components changed please :)