Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Pseudo-coaxial with narrow directivity (and Horbach-Keele filters)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2015, 01:50 AM   #21
CLS is online now CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Well done !

Makes me think of this: The Portal....a controlled dispersion tripole

-- unfortunately that project seems abandoned

And also this: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post1953221
Old 26th January 2016, 10:44 PM   #22
Monkey King is offline Monkey King  Canada
diyAudio Member

This is excellent and very exciting stuff!

How are you planning to integrate it into your room? e.g. Will you hang/mount it to a wall?
Old 28th January 2016, 11:29 AM   #23
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoLLgoTT View Post
I'm a bit proud of the optimized alignment of prototype 7. It looks weird and chaotic, but there is a system behind it.

Pseudo-coaxial with narrow directivity (and Horbach-Keele filters)-gitter-jpg

I thought that element arrangement was my idea
post #3352 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post4198898

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costas_array

Click the image to open in full size.

Anyway, allways delighted to see solutions outside mainstream.

Old 28th January 2016, 11:39 AM   #24
FoLLgoTT is offline FoLLgoTT  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
How are you planning to integrate it into your room? e.g. Will you hang/mount it to a wall?
I'm planning to put the speaker on stands. Unfortunately the final design is on hold, because I have to finish my home theater first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
I thought that element arrangement was my idea
post #3352 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post4198898
Damn! You were faster!

Interesting. I didn't know about Costas arrays. It is exactly the principle I used for prototype 7. I just didn' know that this has been named to a person already.
Old 28th July 2018, 07:57 PM   #25
FoLLgoTT is offline FoLLgoTT  Germany
diyAudio Member

Finally I built my speakers for my new stereo setup. I was able to shape horizontal and vertical directivity independently from each other. The speaker is a 3-way design with four DSP channels. And it was designed to be used with a subwoofer system which will follow.

Here it is:
Pseudo-coaxial with narrow directivity (and Horbach-Keele filters)-_mg_7342_klein-jpg
Pseudo-coaxial with narrow directivity (and Horbach-Keele filters)-_mg_7352_klein-jpg
Pseudo-coaxial with narrow directivity (and Horbach-Keele filters)-_mg_7385_klein-jpg

Horizontal directivity:
Pseudo-coaxial with narrow directivity (and Horbach-Keele filters)-abstrahlverhalten-hor-png

Vertical directivity:
Pseudo-coaxial with narrow directivity (and Horbach-Keele filters)-abstrahlverhalten-vert-png

Please read the full Quasikoax 1 documentation. It is in german so you may use a translator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_7342_klein.jpg (415.6 KB, 833 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_7352_klein.jpg (184.8 KB, 534 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_7385_klein.jpg (122.5 KB, 519 views)
File Type: png Abstrahlverhalten hor.png (22.7 KB, 515 views)
File Type: png Abstrahlverhalten vert.png (54.6 KB, 507 views)
Old 28th July 2018, 08:58 PM   #26
bbutterfield is offline bbutterfield  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoLLgoTT View Post
Finally I built my speakers for my new stereo setup. I was able to shape horizontal and vertical directivity independently from each other. The speaker is a 3-way design with four DSP channels. And it was designed to be used with a subwoofer system which will follow.
These look really good. Congratulations on the impressive build! Maybe you should update the first post of this thread with some new info, if you can.

It looks like you've achieved the type of vertical directivity I've been advocating for. It takes a lot to substantially attenuate the floor and ceiling reflections. Do you have any subjective assessments yet? In what ways do these sound similar to other speakers, and in what ways are they different?

Have you found them to be very tolerant of room placement? I'm particularly interested in the distance required from the front wall (wall behind the speakers).

Since you achieve directivity to a nice low frequency (significantly below 1000 hz), I wonder if the missing low frequency reflected energy might leave the speaker sounding a little thin. I think studies show that most people prefer a gradual, steady roll off of acoustic energy with frequency at their listening positions. (Something like a 6 or 10 dB drop from a couple hundred Hz up to the limit of human hearing). I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised to hear that you prefer an EQ that isn't flat. If the reflections aren't reinforcing the low frequencies, you might want to amplify them yourself. Still, I think you'll preserve more detail/clarity this way than relying on the reflections. You can have the frequency response you want, without the reflections that can reduce the clarity. Like having your cake and eating it, too.

Thanks for sharing. I'm interested to hear more.
Old 29th July 2018, 01:18 PM   #27
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Nice work! Thanks for updating the thread. The finished product is quite a departure from where the thread started. Not just how they look, but in form and function, too. You seem to have solved the different axis directivity that you sought.
Old 29th July 2018, 01:42 PM   #28
FredrikC is offline FredrikC  Norway
diyAudio Member

Great job as usual, thanks for sharing!
Old 29th July 2018, 05:03 PM   #29
18Hurts is offline 18Hurts  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice!

Really like how the design limits vertical dispersion while allowing 60 degrees of horizontal. Your woodworking skills just prove I'm a hack that should never go beyond birdhouses and Ikea builds.

Great attention to detail all around from the build quality, the design and selection of the proper drivers to really nail it. If they ever become too large or you move on, I have a warm place to store them.
Old 29th July 2018, 07:01 PM   #30
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Interesting concept, great to see ideas like these come alive.
Can't wait to see the sub system to match.

Pseudo-coaxial with narrow directivity (and Horbach-Keele filters)Hide this!Advertise here!