Corner bass reflex maximally flat or extended bass shelf tuning?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am seeking opinions on the box tuning of a planned speaker project which will include woofers mounted in bass reflex enclosures. The layout and usage of the room in which they will be used dictates that the speakers will be placed in the corners of a rectangular room along the narrow wall. The speaker drivers and crossover have been settled upon and purchased.

I know that corner placement may not be ideal. On the other hand, I like the idea of the low frequency boundary reinforcement the woofers will receive in this location. My goal is to minimize the booming one-note bass effect that may tend to be produced.

The speakers in question are Seas H1316 CA26RE4X. They feature a resonant frequency of 25 Hz, a Vas of 164 Liters, and an Xmax of 4 mm (8 mm peak to peak). Qts with the inline crossover coil will be .31.

If anyone can offer me opinions on the best box tuning for this driver in a corner position I would appreciate it. And, if you have experience with other bass reflex woofers used in a corner please share that also. Thanks to all who respond.

The T/S parameters of the square magnet K-33 (15") woofer are:

K-33-E/B (Klipsch Square Magnet)
Fs = 27.0Hz
Re = 3.5 ohms
Vas = 343 liters
BL = 9.8 T*m
Qms = 8.5
Qes = 0.68
Qts = 0.633
Mms = 106 g
Xmax = 6.67 mm
Cms = 0.305 mm/N
Sd = 890 cm² (13.5" diameter)

May be you should do what Tannoy owners have always done with relatively low Qts drivers: Use a larger box tuned low and use (corner) placement to get the bass level.

Here is a rough&ready explanation: Tannoy Monitor Gold Crossover: Frequency Response

You would want to aim for alignment 'c'. For your driver that would roughly equate to a 100L box tuned to 25Hz. Play with a box calculator which draws predicted graphs like WinISD and avoid anything that give a hump in the response ('b' alignment in the linky) like the plague.

I find funny the OP not showing the crossover (or pics). Probably you won't need the BSC. What project/crossover is that anyway? Was it designed for a BR or sealed, high Qtc or low Qtc, and the frequency of the crossover, high or low? You can only design a crossover or altering it after all these facts are set, and more of course. In general your question was already answered but it is better to give a few more details (including the size of the room: "a rectangular room").

I know that corner placement may not be ideal. On the other hand, I like the idea of the low frequency boundary reinforcement the woofers will receive in this location.
Well . . . embedded in there somewhere is your answer.

It depends on the room.

It depends on what works best for "the rest of the speaker".

It depends, in other words, on the parameters you have not mentioned, and hardly at all on the ones you have. No one will be able to tell you what your room will sound like without measuring it . . . so that's what you should do first. Put a known test source (one of the woofers you intend to use, mounted in a sealed box that gives maximally flat response, would work) in the proposed location(s) and measure room response with REW. Then choose the (ported) box response that best compensates for the room.

That said . . . corner placement is (usually) too far apart for good stereo. While the corner acts as a waveguide for low frequencies (significantly improving bass) the corner also acts as an "early reflector" for higher frequencies (unless the mids/highs have waveguides/horns of their own), which may not be as good a thing. If your mid/woofer crossover is low enough (if you can treat the woofers as sub-woofers) you might consider NOT co-locating them with the mids/tweeters.

The singular advantage that DIY gives us is the ability to effectively match the speaker to the room. One size DOES NOT fit all, nor does just another generic box, and there's a lot more to it than just which bass alignment to use . . .

That said...corner placement is (usually) too far apart for good stereo. While the corner acts as a waveguide for low frequencies (significantly improving bass) the corner also acts as an "early reflector" for higher frequencies (unless the mids/highs have waveguides/horns of their own), which may not be as good a thing. If your mid/woofer crossover is low enough (if you can treat the woofers as sub-woofers) you might consider NOT co-locating them with the mids/tweeters.

This article can help on that subject: Corner Horn Imaging FAQ - diyAudio

Unlike the advice given above, I don't recommend separating the location of multiple ways of a loudspeaker above 80 Hz, and really not that high if your room is of any size.

Chris

Some high-end systems use corner woofers, like this one:
Model S

With room correction and a 2 way digital xover that can compensate for the distance between woofers and main speakers (i.e. by delaying output to main speaker), you can get the best of two worlds. I have listened to the system above and was amazed how integrated the sound was, and the bass was very punchy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.