Budget priced Coaxial speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there a better budget priced Coaxial Speaker than the Eminence Beta-10CX? If there is, I'd like to hear about it. The Beta-10CX seems capable of bass down to 40 Hz in a not-too-big cabinet, and with a APT:1000 tweeter is only about $100 in the U.S. Even using a better tweeter (larger voice coil, more power, wider frequency range) such as a PSD:2013 still makes it less than $150. I can't find anything that even comes close.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Last edited:
If it's for home use, consider coaxial with a dome in the middle. MCM 55-3025, car audio coaxial drivers. Lower sensitivity, but the frequency response is all there. What are your spl requirements?

Wow!! That coaxial (MCM-3025) is certainly a bargain at $12.49!!!! I wonder if the data sheet numbers are to be trusted---no Thiele-Small parameters given, and a VERY impressive (i.e., doubtful) frequency response curve! I am hoping for 100 (+) db SPL with at least 15 db of headroom. These won't do that, but......Hmmmmmmm.......

Wow!! That coaxial (MCM-3025) is certainly a bargain at $12.49!!!! I wonder if the data sheet numbers are to be trusted---no Thiele-Small parameters given, and a VERY impressive (i.e., doubtful) frequency response curve! I am hoping for 100 (+) db SPL with at least 15 db of headroom. These won't do that, but......Hmmmmmmm.......

Yeah, I was going to suggest PA [as in 'public address'] drivers since they're optimized for high speech intelligibility with the downside that they typically are stiffly sprung [low Vas] and get their good efficiency by having a high Qt, hence the cheap price since the motor is where most of the cost is. Consequently, OB, IB or some form of TL loading are the best cab options.

To do 115 dB with a wide range driver requires either prosound or pricey boutique high efficiency [HE] drivers.

GM

Using a bi-amped (24db/octave crossover @ 1.2 KHz) Eminence Beta-10 CX coaxial with PSD: 2013S-16 tweeter, and 250 watt LF amplifier + 50 watt HF amplifier
94.5 db sensitivity (above 100 Hz); in 2.8 ft3 ported cabinet, ~ -4 db @ 40 Hz; needs +4 db peaking filter to flatten response; with a specified Pe of 250 watts RMS (peak 500 watts), this will achieve about 114.5 db SPL; PSD 2013S-16 tweeter (sensitivity of 109.3 db, 1.2 K-20 KHz), needs only ~ 3 watts for HF amplifier section to reach an equalizing 114 db SPL. Even given an average power vs. frequency distribution of 2:1 over 1200 Hz, we still have 116 db SPL available, giving us 100 db SPL with 16 db of headroom. This should be plenty LOUD and very clean. Eh?

Hey G.M.
Your wish is my command :)
These do play pretty loud and stay ~ clean.
I surmise it's the cone material ?

Attachments

• dayton.jpg
    dayton.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Probably more your speed : ...... :)

http://www.lowellmfg.com/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/filemanager/files/1439-8P100.pdf

My speed if I wanted to upgrade and stay coaxial :

http://www.lowellmfg.com/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/filemanager/files/1437-12E100T60.pdf

Lowell makes nice drivers. I have some of their 8 " whizzered, and they are a step above Bogen et. al.
Hmmmm.....seems tough to find prices on the speakers you cite. Full Compass is a dealer but don't list either the 12" or 8". Specs provided on the link for the 12E100-T60 are a bit strange--the Sd quoted is completely out of line for a 12" speaker and the Qts specified doesn't equal the normal calculation (1/Qts = 1/Qes + 1/Qms). I couldn't even get to the web pages you listed without your link ("permission denied"0. Are you a dealer?

Last edited:
Hmmmm.....seems tough to find prices on the speakers you cite. Full Compass is a dealer but don't list either the 12" or 8". Specs provided on the link for the 12E100-T60 are a bit strange--the Sd quoted is completely out of line for a 12" speaker and the Qts specified doesn't equal the normal calculation (1/Qts = 1/Qes + 1/Qms). I couldn't even get to the web pages you listed without your link ("permission denied"0. Are you a dealer?

I don't follow; I mean I googled and the first link was to their catalog page, then clicked on 'specs', then 1439 link for the 8", 1437 link for the 12". Pricing found googling the model numbers and clicking on 'shopping', which with its more basic tweeter, the 12" is cheaper than the 8".

Yeah, I've found having a wrong Sd has popped up a number of times WRT PA drivers. Regardless, using the other specs calculates a more reasonable 518.9 cm^2 for the 12" and except for rounding off, the Qes, Qms, Qts specs are spot on WRT Re, BL, etc..

GM

Ah, yes....Qts is correct...my error...I initially entered 4.4 for Qms. Sd is calculated at 519 cm2 by WinISD; quite far from their figure of 150. WinISD (both Alpha and Beta versions) come up with some very weird plots and box sizes (21 cubic feet?). I did find the price, though--thanks! $127 is within budget. Why do you prefer ceiling speakers vs. Hi-Fi drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.