Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

a nice K-tube tweeter
a nice K-tube tweeter
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2015, 01:25 AM   #21
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

a nice K-tube tweeter
A tube within a tube. Hmmmmm.... I am using one of those 2 way compression drivers.
Old 21st November 2015, 05:18 AM   #22
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

a nice K-tube tweeter
to keep things short, make a mini-Klam such as made by Alan Weiss - the klam angle is about 38-40 above horizontal - he left a nose gap - this was for a little satellite speaker with a Beta 8a and Eminence 1" format bolt-on driver. I've only made one out of posterboard and tape:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 21st November 2015, 05:30 PM   #23
kenpeter is offline kenpeter  United States
diyAudio Member

1 inch ktube into a 2 inch close-ended
ktube turned back toward driver.
Mount vertically, report...

Line inside with sandpaper, report...

Last edited by kenpeter; 21st November 2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 21st November 2015, 06:34 PM   #24
diyAudio Moderator

a nice K-tube tweeter
Ha ha! A folded K-tube, Ken? Maybe. And the sandpaper trick is an old one, dates way back I think. Maybe that's what inspired Geddes and his foam plugs.

Freddi - what are the advantages of the short tube?

I'd love to play more with all this - and would if I were still on the mainland where materials are cheap and plentiful. It's harder here 2500 miles out to sea.
Old 21st November 2015, 08:40 PM   #25
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

a nice K-tube tweeter
imo making a 1" inside diameter pipe K-tube the length of Transylvania's tube is a good endeavor for 1" format compression drivers. The little mini-klam lens may be of (subjective) value too. I would keep xover at 1K2 or higher.

longer tubes allow the tube's exit to reach the front plane of a bass K-coupler's aperture or in the case of Faerber, poke through the wall of a horn.

here's a 5.5" long x 1" ID tube with an added 11" unslotted section added vs Transylvania Power Company's "The Tube" - - there's a high frequency notch with the long tube and I think but am not sure that it could be from a cavity effect where the schedule 40 pipe did not fit all the way down a thread on to flat flange adapter. Its been so long that I don't remember what the red trace measured.

here's a Klipsch K701 plastic tractrix horn vs a 5.5" x 1" ID homemade K-tube at 30 feet with each running the old Eminence CD8 driver - that driver rollded off after 12KHz as it had an aluminum diaphragm - mine IIRC was the tread on version so the K-tube was taped onto the end of its exit for the test. The other trace is the Transylvania K-tube with an Altec 806a - There's essentially no gain on the low end with the small vessel volume K-tube - its a waveguide.

here's input Z of a 5.3" long homemade K-tube vs the same tube when a 2.5" unslotted stub was added - both with B&C DE25
It would be interesting to see response on Faerber's K-tube
Old 22nd November 2015, 03:41 AM   #26
diyAudio Moderator

a nice K-tube tweeter
Thanks Freddi. Very good info.
Old 22nd November 2015, 04:56 PM   #27
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Y'all,

Just some thoughts...

In Post #5 freddi asked about the K-tube size the Faerber Equilibrium III uses. I did a quick side view scaling, and it looks like a ~2"I.D. tube.

Somehow we are missing something here. The von Langa and the Faerber K-tubes cannot both be bad? They both look like 2"I.D., and have very different slots and length, but supposedly both sound good. But, freddi, Pano and kenpeter are reporting bad results trying to make that 2"I.D. form factor work. I tried to look @ the numbers from the 1/4 and 1/2 wavelength viewpoint, but they don't really make much sense either. Without a little better understanding of the theory behind this we seem to be stuck w/ the Transylvania 1"I.D. tube, and maybe some smaller ones as the working examples.

Sure would be nice to figure this one out.

Regards,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quarter_half_wavelength_2015Nov19.jpg (341.1 KB, 227 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Faerber_EQ_III_K-tube_2in.pdf (226.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 22nd November 2015, 06:28 PM   #28
diyAudio Moderator

a nice K-tube tweeter
Thanks for the charts. Yes, it would be nice to get to the bottom of this. I don't understand what's going on.
What surprised me is that the highs fall off so quickly once off axis of the tube end. The highs come straight down the tube just fine, but quickly drop off to the side of the tube, even on axis with the slot. I would have expected the highs to escape thru the slot a lot more.
Old 22nd November 2015, 06:43 PM   #29
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Thanks for the charts. Yes, it would be nice to get to the bottom of this. I don't understand what's going on.
What surprised me is that the highs fall off so quickly once off axis of the tube end.
Pano,

You mentioned the tube you used was around 12".
The only time saw the 2" Transylvania Power Company tube was on a 2440, my recollection (from an outdoor show in Madison, Wisconsin, 1978) was it was about the same length as the driver, around 5".
The "V" went down almost to the mounting flange, IIRC, and was only about 1/2 the aspect ratio of Oliver's units in post #14, much "stubbier".
Can't seem to find any pictures on the web of it anymore...

It had very wide HF dispersion, the lead vocalist's mic was feeding back at around 10 kHz (no need for monitors with as much wrap as it had), the T tube opening faced forward, straight up. I walked around the PA, highs were clear out well past 180 degrees.

Art

Last edited by weltersys; 22nd November 2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 22nd November 2015, 07:43 PM   #30
hottube is offline hottube  United States
diyAudio Member

be the horn guy that i am. I will try it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5622.jpg (469.2 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0129.jpg (574.9 KB, 137 views)

a nice K-tube tweeterHide this!Advertise here!