Active 4-Way system using BMS 4592nd with cardioid bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings all

Im working on a project that i more than likely will need some help with from the gifted inhabitants of this lovely forum..
A while back i purchased the BMS 4592Nd drivers and mounted them half-assedly in a modified EV cabinet incorporated in a 4-way active system
The system is currently playing in a production/rehersal/event studio where i do some work occasionally, and everyone has been flabbergasted by drivers..

I've now set it upon myself to expand this system, completely rebuilding the mids and woofers and running the 4592Nd's passive to make room in the dps for possible cardioid bass.
I've toyed with a bunch of different ideas, and i was hoping someone could help me sort the bad from the good from the overly ambitious.
I will do my best to incorporate all the factors and variables in this initial post, as far as im able i would like to work entirely with BMS units but of course am willig to look elsewhere

What we are trying to achieve is an optimized listening experience for small average volume events as well as high quality audio demonstrations..
The catch however, is that we also require a relatively high SPL capability as the system will be used for parties hosted on the weekends, the sound quality during the parties is more or less irrelevant because they are just a lot of drunk idiots.
So i usually just punch in some very excursion forgiving but textbook horrible DSP settings.

I am by no means a wizard at all of this, but i do have some insight, and generally pick things up fast. I look forward to this being an instructional experience :)
With that said, onwards to the issue at hand.

We would like to keep the stage as dead as possible, so, i will be doing some testing this weekend to see how effective a cardiod setup would be in this room.
Im suspecting this will be very impactful and my initial thinking on system setup will be to incorporate it more or less for sure in the bass region.

The mids are by far the area where im the most undecided

Am i looking for 10-12's for definition and clarity or would that be underkill for the room. Is the best to just be practical and bang two premium 15" with nice upper performance in there, that way also utiziling the low range capabilites of the 4592

I've been looking at some different concepts for the construction method, ie. acoustic resistance box, dipoles and what not, im honestly not sure if wether or not im competent enough to really be exploring these options,
or wether they are actually worth the effort compared to just using a standard direct radiator box and just accept what they do disperse

Any and all thoughts on the mids is very appreciated

I am currently contemplating either of two options for the bass.
Three suitable BMS 18" ported in a tower on each side, rotating the mids for cardiod function when needed
(This poses a basic annoying problem with the dimensions not being aesthetically pleasing or easy to place)

Or 6 each side of these puppy's which i for some reason have grown quite fond of, mounted in pairs in reflex cabs and rotateable
Overview
At the off chance that they wouldnt be able to produce the spl needed on the weekends i could easily supplement with dual 18"s i have from the in house rental section.
And im thinking working in unison they would easily be able to reach 30-35hz sufficiently loud..
(Im slightly partial to this design, but have often been told its somewhat delusional, for reasons that have yet to make sense to me, perhaps someone here could enlighten me on the matter)

I will update some room dimensions and pictures tomorrow, to give a better understanding of the environment..

That turned out to be quite a mouthful, really hope someone takes an interest, thank you all in advance..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.