6FE200 + ST200

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi friends, here is my suggestion for quick, easy, highly efficient, relatively cheap, yet amazingly sounding 2-way.

Long story short I was looking for simple good sounding speaker for amp/preamp tweeking and comparing. I did not want to swap amps in main systems, which are biamped, and awkward to work with, so I came up with this simple 2-way.

It consists of faital PRO 6fe200 as midbas duties, and Selenium/JBL ST200 supertweeter. Box is Ikea Forloya(?) wooden shelve with front and back baffle made of plywood. Its closed with light stuffing with fibers from some Ikea pillow. Crossover is just a 2 uF cap for tweeter.

I can't stop listening to this speaker. Granted, it does not go too deep, but for comparing amps, this is not an issue. For normal listening it goes low enough. It excells in midrange and hights. It has dynamic and coherent sound. Highly recommended. Give it a try, you will not regret it.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Photos please. Also what are dimensions of box - is it sealed?

Also, didn't you need to pad the tweeter? It is 105dB and 6FE200 is 95dB. Throw in -5dB baffle step and it looks like you need -15dB padding.

I have recently tried Dayton ND25FA silk dome tweeter about same price. They even make a waveguide version for same price and 95dB. Very smooth sounding and might be similar match with simple cap XO.

That looks like a great mid bass - I have been thinking of getting a pair to try so may do this.

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
some photos...this is above mentioned 2-way

Attachments

• fp1.jpg
    fp1.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 1,869
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Adason: THANKS !!

Thanks for the heads up on the Faital Pro 6fe200 driver.

I went with a pair per side for wide-band mid range duty.
It's a 1.5 way (BSC).

Heavily damped, with neoprene covered front baffle.

It's simply the best mid range I have ever heard.

Attachments

• 20160116_112653_resized.jpg
    20160116_112653_resized.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 1,184
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I bet it sounds great!

And... you would win the bet :)

I actually prefer it to my horn loaded 8inch cone !

The pair working together, even though BSC'd , are extremely efficient, but
the bonus is, they can handle loads of power without dynamic compression.

A true diamond in the ruff. I can't thank you enough, sir.

p.s. I also bought the ST-200, to be tried at a later date.

I decided to bite the bullet and order this combo for my new project.. combined with Mccauley B1560's and the result is fantastic.

After some measuring, I changed the crossover cap to 0.47uF as there was too much overlap, and there is a bit of a resonance at 5K from the 6FE200, but I will experiment with small foam pads on the cone. I can't get over how great it sounds, and how much headroom there is.

This combo is actively crossed over to the B1560's at anywhere between 250-700, so i'm going to have to keep listening for the best point

Cheers for the recommendation!

Attachments

• IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 851
Just an update, after much experimentation I settled on a second order filter of 1uf and 0.22mh on the tweeter and nothing on the midrange, actively crossing over at 350 to the woofer and covering the baffle with faux long haired fur to reduce baffle reflections.

Very neutral, lifelike and fantastic imaging

Thanks for the heads up on the Faital Pro 6fe200 driver.
I went with a pair per side for wide-band mid range duty.
It's a 1.5 way (BSC).
Heavily damped, with neoprene covered front baffle.
It's simply the best mid range I have ever heard.

Perhaps i'm too curious but there is no details about the loudspeaker backloading impedance (cabinets)
Why ?

Nothing about the front loading... (room)
Why ?

Are you too shy ?
:shutup:

And... you would win the bet :)

I actually prefer it to my horn loaded 8inch cone !

The pair working together, even though BSC'd , are extremely efficient, but
the bonus is, they can handle loads of power without dynamic compression.

A true diamond in the ruff. I can't thank you enough, sir.

p.s. I also bought the ST-200, to be tried at a later date.

Did you have a chance to compare the st200 to the ribbon tweeter?
Your crossover?