ACR RP400 Isostatic tweeter (Fostex FT7RP) Exchange to a Visaton MHT12 ribbon tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've read on the Internet that Klaus Matschy has done a ACR RP400 tweeter (Fostex FT7RP) Exchange to a Visaton MHT12 ribbon tweeter.
But the end result (filter schedule) is unfortunately not talked about
My filter is the MK2 version.

But before I go to swapping out the tweeter, first I do is looking for the filter schedule.
Dit someone have the filter schedule for me?
Here is more info about the loudspeakers: rp 400

Kind regards,
Rudy

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you ar elooking to replace broken tweeters Brian Cherry at diyHiFi supply might have some of the Fostex tweeters tucked away (i have a pair but i'm keeping them)

DIY Hifi Supply | Take Control! DIY!

These electrodynamic tweeters have fairly flat impedance curves making it easier to tweek the XO, but drop0in with no changes is unlikely to be optimum.

dave

Hi Rudy,

I had a look at your request. Since it's a ACR speaker (and ACR is from Switzerland :)) I'm glad to share my assessment.

Klaus Matschy wasn't happy with the Fostex tweeter because measurements and sound were disappointing to him and consequently he replaced it with the Visaton ribbon.

Fortunately the tweeter exchange is no big deal except for the different mechanical dimensions. The filter itself is not critical. Both tweeters have a flat impedance response and do handle a crossover at 5 kHz easily.

Hence the first attempt will be to exchange the tweeter and keep the crossover as it is. Based on the datasheets the Visaton tweeter probably is a bit quieter and you possibly want to remove the two resistors in the tweeter filter to make it louder.

Attached is a modified crossover that looks best in my simulation. The component values of the tweeter filter are different and the coil in the midrange section has changed from 0.33 to 0.47 mH. However, these are only minor adjustments which may or may not work. It's up to you whether you want to try that.

Attachments

• CrossoverBMW850.jpg
    CrossoverBMW850.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 379
201144d1292489204-designing-ob-ribbon-mid-tweet-speaker-acr-rp400.jpg

I don't know Klaus Matschy personally but his homepage is here: index

I don't think he can help you with your project. He writes he was very satisfied with the Visaton ribbon, but he had serious problems with the crossover of the mid, the Fostex FS21RP. And then one day he came to the conclusion that the Visaton magnetostat simply is too precious for the Fostex speaker and deserves something better. So the MHT12 went into his new VisaTOM design and the Technics TH400 took its place in the Fosty.

My crossover proposal is based on a partial simulation of your speaker. Partial means only mid and tweeter are simulated, all woofers are missing. Attachment 1 is the result of the MHT12 with the current crossover, attachment 2 is the result of the modified crossover.

Attachments

• SimulationBMW850Original.jpg
    SimulationBMW850Original.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 273
  • SimulationBMW850Modified.jpg
    SimulationBMW850Modified.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 363
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.