Wayne Parham's 2pi Towers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all--

Just wanted to give kudos to Wayne for designing an affordable, easy to assemble, AMAZING sounding loudspeaker kit. I just finished my 2pi tower build. Unfortunately, I have no objective data but I feel the same way about hifi that I do about bourbon: I know what I like.

I am driving these speakers with a "Chi-fi" Kt-88 push pull amp running 12ax7 and 12at7 in the preamp stage. Wayne's white paper lists them at 96db/w/m. 8ohm nominal. Cost as follows for the pair:

Kits from Wayne: $200 (everything needed for the speaker except cabinet, cross bracing, and insulation)
5 ply 5/8" birch plywood finished on one side: $88
R-13 insulation roll $25
Watco Danish Oil Finish: $8
Misc: Screws, wood glue, etc ~$20

Total for pair ~$340

In terms of construction, I had the plywood store cut panels for me, which they did with remarkable accuracy. I assembled the sides, front baffle, top and bottom using wood glue and a kreg pocket hole jig.

Cut holes using a compass to inscribe the circle, and a dremel with a cutting bit and a circle jig, which is an amazingly clean and accurate little device.

Silicone and "L brackets" to interior, followed by cross bracing and insulation. I then sanded and finished with Danish oil. Cabinets were then wired and back panel placed with countersunk screws.

The speakers have now finished their burn in period and they sound great. Very good bass in my room and I do not feel at all like I need a sub. The soundstage and clarity are amazing as well as the imaging. By the way, these are words I often read and hadn't really experienced until now.

Highly recommend for those looking for a high efficiency kit speaker that is easy for a novice woodworker to assemble.

Now pics:

Attachments

• IMG_2962.JPG
    IMG_2962.JPG
    335.2 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_2964.JPG
    IMG_2964.JPG
    535.6 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_2965.JPG
    IMG_2965.JPG
    527.9 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_2982.JPG
    IMG_2982.JPG
    383.5 KB · Views: 991
  • IMG_2984.JPG
    IMG_2984.JPG
    535.1 KB · Views: 597
That is a nice build you have made there with SPL high enough
for tube amps. The 96 dB/1w/1m, as advertised, is measured
half space, so with a typical XO filter designed for open space
the sensitivity drops to about 91dB, which is fine and realistic.

I must admit, I thought Wayne was doing something more complicated usually. But I can see how that would work. Bit rough at 3kHz maybe.
Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

Sorry to dig this up, but I am also curious about the breakup noted above.

Thinking of a DIY 5 channel set, and wonder if this may be a hinderance. Probably still better than anything commercial for the money I would guess.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.